Chapter 9

She still wasn't quite sure she completely understood why her papa couldn't come with them. She didn't question it, though. Her dads were very strong and they just wanted to protect her. She just wished that she could protect them, too.

They went to Papa's house and dad started to make dinner for them. Alaska couldn't put her finger on it, but it felt as if there was some strange sort of echo in the house. She wasn't sure how to explain it, so she just tried her best to ignore the feeling.

Her dad called her and Papa into the dining room where they sat down together to eat. Alaska couldn't remember her chest ever feeling so light. She wanted it to stay like this forever. Here with both her dads and everyone smiling. She helped to clear the table and went with Papa into the living room where she helped him start a fire in the fireplace. Well, she didn't exactly help make the fire. More like she put the newspaper and some wood in. Papa said he didn't want her accidentally hurting herself with the fire, so she backed up a bit when he lit a flame and set the fuel to burn. He pulled the small bit of fencing in front of the fire and sat back from the fireplace. He leaned against the couch. Alaska moved closer to him before he gently picked her up to sit her on his lap.

Alaska looked up to him and smiled seeing a smile on his face as well. She looked back to the fire, wrapping herself in her papa's scarf as he held her close. She took a deep breath in, taking in the scent of everything around her. The fire burning and the unique scent her papa had that smelled of home.

She heard a quiet sound and looked up to see her dad sitting down just beside them with a smile. She reached out her hand to take hold of her dad's. Almost as soon as she felt his hand grasp hers, her eyes drifted closed.

Russia turned his head to look at his daughter. Her face was serene in sleep, not a single worry to plague her thoughts. Her gently pushed aside her bangs behind her ear even though he knew they wouldn't stay there long. Carefully standing up with her in his arms, he left America in the room to head upstairs to a guest room. Inside, Russia pulled the blanket aside and laid Alaska down, pulling the blanket back over her. He watched her for a moment before giving her a small kiss on her forehead and departing from the bedroom, leaving the door slightly ajar.

Back in the living room, America fed a few pieces of wood into the fire as Russia came back. He sat down on the couch. America soon came to join him, and they simply sat in silence.

"Do you ever think this is the right thing to do?" America asked suddenly.

Russia turned to look at him. He still faced the fire, a reflection of the flames dancing in his glasses. "What do you mean?"

"Having Rose live this double life. I mean, I know we don't have many choices but she's so young and I don't know-"

"Alfred."

America turned to face him at the use of his name. Russia's words stopped when he saw the distress in his eyes. The worry that he felt himself.

He took America's hands in his. "We will find a way through this. Rose is very strong. We are all going to make it through this and we won't give up."

"I know," he said quietly, slowly nodding his head. "I know."

Russia held America's cheek in his hand, pulling him a bit closer. He softly kissed his love before speaking again. "You always worry too much." He gave a soft smile, earning a smile from America. "Just relax, once in a while."

America just gently smiled, not voicing any answer. He held onto Russia's hands, not daring to let go. "I don't want to lose you. I don't want to lose either of you."

"Weren't you the one telling me that we would be okay?"

He smirked at his own words. "I did, didn't I?"