Sad News

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! I look at my phone and shut the alarm off and slam my phone onto the night stand. I look at the day April 7th, yep it's my 13th birthday! I tell myself happy birthday because I thought that was the only one I was going to get. I get dressed in a pair of jeans and t-shirt and walk out to breakfast.

As soon as I walk out in handed a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of milk. After breakfast I walk back to my room and flop onto my bed. I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket.

From:Alex

Knock knock.

I was a bit confused by this for a moment until I heard someone knock at the door. I open it to see Alex standing there I move aside so that he can come in and he goes and sits on my bed. I limp over to him because my foot still hurts a bit, and give him a hug.

After a little while he pulls me back and says " Happy Birthday!" I stand there shocked that he knew and as I do so he pulls out a box from his back pocket and hands it to me.

As I open it I see a necklace, a lock it! I pull the lock it out and open it. It has a picture of me and Alex the time that I was discharged from the hospital and the nurse took a picture from his phone. "Thank you! I can't believe you knew it was my birthday!" I said with a shy look on my face.

"Well of course I remembered! How could I not!?" I just smiled and did not say anything.

"So," he began to say as I turned my head toward him." Yeah?" I said looking at him." They think they've found a foster home for you." As I looked at him closer he looked a little nervous." Cool! Where at?" I said waiting to hear some great news. "That's the thing, it's in Israel." I felt like I was going to cry but gathered myself up and said slowly "Okay. I trust you to know where is best for me to go."

He smiled." Good, you leave Monday morning." I thought to myself Monday?! But it's Thursday! That's so soon!

"Is it permanent?" I asked worried that he might say yes." No, it's only for two months and if you don't like it you can come back to Pennsylvania. Okay?" I hesitated but still said okay.

"Hey, try to think of it as a vacation." He said noticing my sad look." I have somethings for you, let's go out to my car to get them I stood up and he put his hand out for me to help balance myself.

"And just where do you think you're going?!" Mrs. Amity said sounding very angry. But before I could say anything Alex answered for me." I'm sorry ma'am, I was just taking her out to my car to grab a few thing the chief said I could give to her." She looked shocked but said." Very well get it over with and be careful she is still injured!"

He nodded and walked me out to his car, he opened the drivers door and let me sit in the seat so that I wouldn't hurt myself.

"Alex?" I asked in a small voice."What's up?" He says looking a bit worried." How old are you?" He smiled and said. " I'm eighteen"

Just after he said that he helped me up and handed me a cane to help me walk and a bag full of clothes some colored pencils coloring books jewelry a purse
(that looked like it would be worn in Africa) a hat two books and some pictures of my family." Thanks!" I said not able to hold it back anymore. I started crying like crazy.

Alex walked me back to my room and gave me one more thing a luggage. I couldn't say thanks because I was still crying so hard but he knew that I meant it. He pulled me towards him and gave me a hug. Well that made me cry even more. He pulled away and said "well it's getting late and I have to get home. Goodnight." I saw him get up and said "Wait! Will I see you before I leave?" He turned around and smiled
"Yes! Of course! I will be taking you to Boston and flying you over to Israel."

I felt very relieved at knowing this and laid back on my bed and before I knew it I was asleep but woke up at about 3:30a.m. And turned on my alarm for 8:45a.m. And fell back asleep 💤