Chapter 28.3

'What do you think you're doing?' Elgron asked, his voice full of disgust for the man staring him down.

'Taking control.' Corvaer's voice was calm and steady. Then he shook his head and laughed. No, he was no longer Corvaer, he was Raf'ney-krush. There might now be two of him inside his body, but he surely was no bringer of chaos. At least not on that side of the war.

'Fool, I could take you down easily and since you're a part of our army, there's nothing hindering me. Make one wrong move and this whole lot of soldiers will be on your heels.' Elgron spat. He didn't seem to be too impressed by the sword at his throat.

'But what's the point in taking you down?' Raf asked. 'I've seen your troops, they don't need you anymore, you've trained them well enough... So why put my own life at risk when I can just do this...' With these words, Raf stepped back and threw his sword to the ground. He waited until he had the attention of every living creature around. 'I'm leaving. I shall no longer serve the queen.'

'Deserter!' Some soldiers hissed. Elgron just laughed coldly.

'It's not that simple.' The old officer stated. 'You must beg the queen to free your soul...'

While he was speaking, another portal opened between the two men. It was just as small and silent as the one they had previously come through and Raf got a short glimpse at the throne room before the queen herself stepped through, looking not too amused at all.

'Who do you think you are?' The queen's voice caught everybody's attention and to Raf it felt as if the air had immediately cooled down. 'Repeat your request.'

Raf blinked and it took a moment for him to realise what she meant. 'I want to leave your army.'

'There is no way back for you. You're a dead man, called into my rows upon your last breath. If you leave, you'll die.' The queen looked at him in fury, yet her voice remained calm. 'May I inquire the reason for your wish to depart?'

'I am no longer under your spell. I remember who I was and I see that this is wrong. I am Raf'ney-krush, bringer of peace, not chaos.' His reply was strong and loud so everybody heard him.

'You're a dead man!' The queen shouted. Then her voice went back to her usual soothing tone. 'But you don't have to be. I approve of your tendency to disobey and think for yourself. Stay at my side and you could accomplish great deeds.'

'Not if it comes at the cost of death.'

'Don't be a fool, everybody dies eventually. Even I shall have to die one day. You're being all to negative, my reign has helped K'haren live. If I didn't clear it of all the vermin every once in a while, it would have drowned in blood centuries ago.'

'Don't listen to her!' Raf heard Nume shout. The queen continued without caring.

'Revoke your foolish outburst and become my king. We shall rule the other world together after clearing this one of all hatred and terror.' The queen's offer sounded tempting in Raf's head and he was thinking hard, trying to find a way to use it to his benefit.

'By terrorising and killing innocent people?' He asked to gain some time.

'We only attack those who attack us first. Those who are full of hatred and blind to the positivity we can bring.' Her voice was so sweet, one could have believed her.

'What about those who attack out of fear and self-defence? I've seen what this army did to an innocent family, you've frightened them and forced them to attack just so you could kill them!' Zar'gno's booming voice was filled with anger.

'Well, let's say they didn't pass the test.' The queen said without flinching. Then she turned to Raf once more. 'So, will you be my king?'

Nume could hear her heart beat violently as the moments passed. The question hung in the air and nobody dared so much as breathe until the answer finally fell upon them.

'Yes.'

'No!' Nume, Kran and Feyn had all shouted simultaneously. But it was too late, all of a sudden, the queen had reached for Raf and led him back through the portal which then closed silently behind them. The rest of the army remained, awaiting command. Elgron was the first who dared to speak.

'Almrut, I nominate you as new commanding officer of the troops of chaos until the queen may choose to keep or replace you. We're moving on, make your soldiers obey!' Elgron's voice was determined and didn't let anybody know what he thought about the previous situation. With a few harsh words, Almrut brought her rows back to order and off they marched, followed closely by the tribe's equally determined volunteers.

Nume felt as if her life was falling apart. She was losing control. Was Raf back on their side now? He had seemed to be for a few moments but if he became the king of the night, he surely couldn't be. Or was he up to something? Whatever it was, they had a job to do so she decided to focus on that instead.

The army was marching quickly now and pursuers had to hurry to keep up. Looking around, Nume soon realised that Feyn was gone. She told Kran but decided to keep the information between the two. After less than a day, they had already lost one out of their rather small group. But they'd also gained Zar'gno, though Nume wasn't sure whether the dragon was going to stay for very long.

By the end of the day, her worry was confirmed as Zar'gno announced his return to his kingdom. He didn't want to say much around the army so Nume convinced him to take her up high where the army wouldn't be able to hear them. Despite his voice only being in her head, he still feared somebody might be talented enough to eavesdrop.

'Why are you going back?' Nume shouted up at the dragon once they were far enough away.

'A war is coming, I have to warn my king. It is my duty.'

'But he might not be too happy to see you, you're putting yourself in danger.' Nume said. There were already too many things she was worried about. She'd rather have sent him back to the tribe instead.

'He is still my king, whatever he decides to do will be done. Maybe I'll even be able to convince him to help. The tiny one was right, they cannot attack unless attacked first, we can spread that message.'

In the end, Nume knew she couldn't change his mind and maybe it was better this way. He dropped her off again and flew away that same evening. Since the army had to rest, so did its pursuers. Nume joined Kran and Tarlequin who were sitting by a small campfire. Only now she realised for how long she'd been up in the air, talking to Zar'gno.

They spent the rest of the evening talking about more or less meaningless things. After all, they didn't want to tell the army anything they might be able to use, so they avoided many topics. But when Nume got too tired, she excused herself and went to sleep early, telling the others to put up a watch and wake her up for her turn later on. If the world was indeed going to end soon, she didn't want to miss the spectacle.

// There we go again, what do you think Raf might be up to? Be sure to let me know in the comments below and don't forget to vote, thanks!