Track Nine - Amnesia

The day before the boys left for tour, I took them to the beach.

The day itself wasn't anything impressive; the sky was grey, and the sea was murky. But that didn't stop our little party. We settled on the sand dunes, out of reach of the freezing waves, wrapped in blankets and sipping our hot chocolate. It was the middle of the day, and all of our sandwiches had been destroyed by the sand.

"I think there's a fish and chip shop somewhere in the town," I told them, standing and shaking the sand from my jeans. "I'll go and find it and buy us some food."

Calum's teeth chattered. "How long's that gonna take?"

I shrugged. "Maybe 45 minutes? The town's a kilometre away."

Michael, Calum and Luke had assumed that we were spending the day at an Australian beach, so were wearing shirts and shorts. But this was the UK and our beaches are rarely sunny, and the weather is always uncooperative. They were now smothered in blankets, warming their hands on the half-empty mugs of warm cocoa.

They all groaned, rubbing their arms with their hands. "Why does English weather love ruining our sunny vibes?" Luke whined, pushing his green-rimmed sunglasses up his nose.

"Do we have to wait here?" Mikey gestured at the windy sand dunes and the crashing waves.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, you guys take the car and use the heater. I'll be back with food soon," I threw the keys at them. "Just don't drive off."

They all smirked wickedly, and ran to the car park at the other end of the beach. All of them, that is, apart from Ashton. He stood next to me grinning and rolling his eyes at his band mates.

"Why don't you go with them?" I asked, watching the three boys sprint for the car.

"I'm not that cold, because I actually have a brain and wore, like, three jumpers today," he replied, and I could hear the smile in his voice. "And because you're probably going to have trouble carrying five lots of fish and chips all by yourself."

I grinned and ruffled his hair. "Glad to know that one member in this band has a brain," he laughed, and we started walking down the sand dunes. "And I'm glad that you're gonna help me, because I'm gonna need it!" I stuffed my hands in my coat pockets, and kicked at the sand on the beach.

We walked in silence for a few minutes, playing footsie with a washed-up pebble.

"So... how are you, Ash?" I glanced up at him, my eyes scanning his pretty face.

"Mad that I never spent more time with you," he admitted with a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry that I wasn't there when Michael... y'know..."

I coughed awkwardly. "Apology accepted. But we could at least make the most of today?"

He grinned, and I was so tempted to poke his dimples. Without warning, he smacked my arm and yelled, "IT!" before sprinting down the beach, his shoes squelching in the damp sand.

I gasped in fake shock, before running after him, my hair flying around my face. I saw him duck behind a couple of large sand dunes, and stealthily followed him, keeping my footsteps light. I turned the corner, yelling "BOO!", only to be met with Ashton and a long, slimy piece of seaweed.

What's a British beach without the most disgusting seaweed? 

I screamed, and he waved it in front of my face. "No, stop!" I cried breathlessly, swatting away the salty string desperately, but I was mad if I thought that my protests were going to stop Ash.

He giggled like a little girl, pushing the seaweed so it tangled in my hair and left greasy marks on my cheeks. I squealed in disgust, and we laughed like small kids being told a cheesy joke.