Chapter 1

Authors note:

This book has been fully edited and has some major changes from the first draft! I'm currently working on book two and will republish one chapter at a time!

Chapter One:

"Kendall, can you come down here a minute?" Dad called from somewhere downstairs; likely his home office.

I sighed and rolled off my queen sized bed, throwing the book I was reading aside. I strolled out of my bedroom and downstairs. I enhanced my hearing to listen for my Dad. I could hear his and two other heartbeats from his office. No surprise there. I quickly let my hearing go back to normal and strode the rest of the way to his office.

I opened the door without knocking; not something I usually do, except when he calls for me. I pushed the cherry oak door shut behind me and took in my surroundings. Dad was sitting in the desk chair, casually learned back. I didn't let his casual body language fool me though; his face was pinched with tension.

My oldest brother, and future Alpha, Brody stood to the right and slightly behind Dad. His six foot four inch body leaned against the wall parallel to the door, his muscular arms crossed over his chest and a blank look on his face, although I could see a look of hesitance in his eyes that wasn't usually there.

My other brother, Matt, was sitting on the couch on the right side of the office. He looked prepared for a fight, which startled me.

All three men looked eerily similar. They all had the same shade of espresso brown hair and midnight blue eyes. The only real differences between them was that Matt had shoulder length curly hair and a slightly crooked nose and Brody had thinner lips and a wider face. Dad looked older than the boys, with a few gray hairs peppering into locks and lines deepening in the crease of his eyes, but he still didn't look his real age.

With the slow aging of werewolves once they reached adulthood, he looked to be more in his late thirties, instead of nearly two hundred years old. Brody certainly didn't look twenty years my senior.

"What's going on?" I asked apprehensively.

"Sit down, Kenny." Dad said, gesturing to one of the two chairs in front of his desk.

I glared at him for the use of my childhood nickname, but didn't comment on it. Now wasn't the time, I could tell. As I took a seat, I felt oddly like a child again. Anytime we needed reprimanding as kids, we would have to sit here across from our stern Alpha father. I had spent countless amounts of time here during my teenage years, along with my sister, Selena. It felt oddly like I was seventeen again, instead of twenty-three.

I raised an eyebrow at each of the men, waiting for one of them to start. My father did.

"As you probably know, I've been working on earning a seat on the council for some time now." He paused.

I was quite aware of this fact. The council was made up of the strongest Alpha's. They helped the King to make decisions about werewolf matters. I didn't completely know what those matters entailed, but I did know that they were important and being asked to join the council was a huge honor.

Dad had been trying for years to receive an invitation, but to no avail. He was a strong Alpha; there was no doubt about that. But we didn't exactly have the largest pack around. Dad had always sort of straddled the line of power. While he was never the most powerful Alpha, he wasn't the least powerful either.

The King was very specific about who he added to the council. He had completely disbanded the council his father and the deceased former king had created when he took the throne almost twenty five years ago. He started from scratch, forming his own council that he had vetted and trusted. Dad had been trying to make the cut ever since.