Chapter 28: Wake-Up Call

Start from the beginning

"Come here." He grabbed my arm and moved so he could rest his head in my lap.

I ran my finger through his hair. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Good as new. I didn't even lose that much blood."

Bowing my head, I chewed on my lip. Tobias closed his eyes. He wasn't that scary looking with them shut. He had a strong jawline and high cheekbones. His beard was starting to come in. I couldn't see the light blond hair, but it bristled against my leg when he moved his head around.

Tobias rolled onto his side. "Come home with me."

"Not yet."

"Why?" he said strongly. "It's clear you don't hate me."

"But I don't love you either," I added.

He sat and met my gaze. "Then what is it? You sneak out at night for just anyone."

"No," I said softly.

"Then how can you say you don't love you? I'm a fucking general, and I can lower my ego enough to say I love you."

I swallowed hard at the comment. "I'm just not ready to go with you. I don't know if I will ever be ready."

"Bullshit." Tobias moved away from me and put his head in his hands. "Fucking hell, Raja. Just stop playing so damn hard to get. I'm tired of it. I had to do this already. I'm not twenty-four anymore. I'm thirty-fucking-one, and I not nearly as patient or understanding as before. I'm old, and I'm tired. If I didn't love you, I'd tie you up, and we'd be on our way to Helix weeks ago."

Pulling my knees to my chest, I hid behind them. "I'm sorry."

"This is not something to say sorry to," he snapped, standing. "Sorry isn't going to work, sorry will never work. Swallow that damn pride you desperately cling to and tell me how you actually feel."

"I don't know," I whispered. "I don't know how I feel."

"Whatever," he gave me a dismissive wave and headed for the door. "I'm not going to fight with you on this."

"Tob-" I reached out for him, but he was gone. Curling up on my side, I ran my finger over my lips. I had been honest. I really didn't know how I felt about him, at least, I thought so.

***

After our fight, I hadn't gone to see Tobias. I was too scared he'd be angry with me or pressure me into talking about how I felt. I was still confused, though. But tonight, I was prepared to discuss it. I just needed more time to figure things out in my head. I'd give him my answer soon enough.

I sat up straight as the last act finished. The stage changed back to the dirt arena. Hopefully, this time, he won't get hurt. I preferred the ten-second fight. Tobias walked to the center to the cheers of the crowd. I smiled at him, but he didn't give me that cheeky smirk in return.

Lord Eadwyn stood. "Welcome again, our champion."

The audience yelled and clapped their hands.

"I have found yet another beast for you to fight. I hope this one will meet all of our expectations. It is a fight to the death, and if you win, you will be rewarded with one night with our beloved Raja."

I sat up straight.

"No."

A hush fell over the audience.

Tobias pointed to Nyko. "I want a night with him."

I glanced across the way. My tribesman looked just as shocked as everyone else. My eyes started to burn, and I blinked it back. What did he mean?