Chapter 2: Genevieve

Start from the beginning

The chemical started to mingle with the blood, creating a purple colour. The monitors of my computer system were showing that the small tiny merged drops of matter were over 90° Celsius. Then, suddenly, the temperature dropped and the drops began to glow a bright blue, before all traces of blood disappeared and was replaced with more of the chemical. As I once again began to prod at the drops, I found that the needle wouldn’t penetrate at all, no matter how hard I tried. Taking some water, I put some near the drop, and it moved towards the droplet before seeming to drink it in, absorbing it. Intrigued, I tested it for being an organism again. It almost passed.

A thought went into my mind. “I wonder what will happen if I experiment putting the chemical into someone? If everything worked out like it should, then the subject would absorb the chemical, creating a super human. If it worked, the promotion from Biological Weapons Unit would be tremendous! Maybe after working so long on this damned island, they’ll let us go.” There was only one problem with that. As one of the most important scientists on the job, I signed a contract where I am not allowed to test anything on myself. “Ivory.” A part of me whispered. Ivory. My daughter. I had tested many things on her before, she seemed almost happy to help, but this chemical is unknown, untried. She could get hurt. But what if nothing happens? “You’ll be free, Genevieve, and you and your daughter will be able to see people. Imagine that, Genevieve.” The voice says again. “Remember the promise, Genevieve. Whatever it takes.”

The next day…

"Honey, come here!"

The temptation was too strong. The chemical which I decided to call ‘Aeolia’ had to be tested. I promised him, and I would never forget it, and it was now time for me to fulfil the promise I made with Simon all those years ago. The sound of padding feet told me that Ivory was coming over to me. Her petite frame entered my field of vision as the came into the ‘living room’ (if it could be called that). Her long brown hair bounced around her tanned skin which she acquired after playing hours in the sun. Her pretty green eyes looked up at me with confusion, but behind it was her curiosity. So much like her father, I thought.

"Yes, mum?"

Her voice was quiet, filled with innocence as she spoke. She wore a top with some denim shorts, no shoes on her feet. Living on the island all her life made her into someone who absolutely loved the wild. She loved the animals, the trees. She was every bit her father’s daughter. I was snapped out of my thoughts suddenly and I remembered the Aeolia.

"I want you to do something for me."

I saw her worry rush out of her eyes, as if it was sucked away by a vacuum cleaner. A small smile comes to her lips and she looks at me in understanding. Shoe knows that I am asking her for permission to experiment on her, we’ve been together long enough to know almost every thought that goes on in each other’s brain.

"What is it this time?"

Her words are confident, as if she had practiced them. In a way, she has. With experiments happening on a monthly basis, anyone would have been confident in those five little words after saying them for so long. A smile starts to tug at my lips. I knew I could count on Ivory to help me. Motioning toward the bed that was positioned next to the television, I said,

"Ok, lie on the bed for me."

Ivory slowly walked over to the bed and sat down before laying her body on the bed. I started to think that maybe I shouldn't do this, but I had already made up my mind. I had been studying for years on this island, and now that I discovered something with the capability to release us from this prison, I wanted to try it, and see how it works. Quickly, I took the heart rate monitor and clipped it to her index finger. Taking out two needles, one filled with general anaesthetic, the other filled with Aeolia, I walked over to her.

"Alright, I have to give you some anaesthetics to keep you calm in case it hurts, ok?"

"Ok, mum."

I injected the anaesthetic into her shoulder, aiming for a vein that will allow the anaesthetic to flow through her bloodstream. Just as she started to nod off, I took hold of the needle filled with Aeolia.

Whatever it takes.

Taking the needle, I plunged it into her skin and pushed all of the Aeolia into her system. That’s when thing started to go downhill.

---------------------

Yo there internet!

I hope you enjoyed! (I swear this took years to edit)

I am trying my best to edit quickly but this takes longer than it looks. Also, I decided to wait until I have finished editing the book to start publishing the next book in the series, because I am currently writing two other books and editing this one, and it is not going to be helpful to add another book that I’m writing to the list. So for now, sadly, I am going to put the series on hold.

Thanks peeps!

~ Missy