Ch. 11 - Arrival

ᑕᕼ. 11 - ᗩᖇᖇIᐯᗩᒪ

After three panic-inducing-Pez-and-med-munching airplanes, two layovers, and shift sleeping in a raunchy, nasty ass train station, we finally made it to the last form of transportation available besides the Hogwarts express and being taken by eagle- that was sarcastic, there isn't any form of transport that specializes in carrying people by large birds, you dumb fuck- the last transport turned out to be a ferry. Which wouldn't of been so bad if it wasn't vomit inducing.

I lean over the railing, feeling pale as cold sweat falls down my temple while I gasp in air, trying to hold in my sandwich I got at the train station. Jacob and Dad sit next to me as they watch my shuddering figure in pity and disgust. I look over at Jacob, who looks like he's going to crack some wise-ass joke, and I quickly stop him. "Jake, I swear if you say anything, I'll castrate you." He gives me an awkward smile and scoots closer to dad, and I let out a humorless chuckle.

A few moments later, my dad shouted," Look!" And I did, indeed, look up, to see the island. It definitely had a creepy vibe, with sheer cliffs, the tops disappearing into the clouds above as the entire area seemed to be covered in fog and the island just seemed bland with dull colors, and I slouch in disappointment, my nausea momentarily forgotten.

After realizing my grandfather probably didn't give a shit about what I wore, I gravitated towards pastels and odd patches to sew onto clothes. I even wore my new clothes onto the plane, and o was pleasantly surprised at the stares. No one seemed to be judging me, not like I'd care, but they definitely been intrigued, and I thought that this island, being so in the middle of no where, would look like Narnia or some shit, full of color, but sadly not.

"Jacob, Rose, look at that!" My father says in childish glee, and we look up to see birds ," Manx Shearwaters!"

Jacob and I leave him to his own devices, standing next to one another, leaning on the railing. We both look at the odd shapes underwater, and as we look at one for a particularly long time, a crew member walked over to us and notices our gaze before making himself known.

"Never seen a shipwreck before, eh?" I shake my head numbly, and Jacob replied idiotically next to me.

"Really?" Really? What the hell does really even mean, you dumb shit? Nonetheless, the man begins explaining.

"This whole area's a nautical graveyard. It's like the old captains used to say- 'Twixt Hartland Point and Cairnholm Bay is a sailor's grave by night or day!'" My face rumpled in confusion before I spoke up, my exhaustion causing me to be semi nice to people.

"Um, no offense, but I'm pretty sure no one said that." He laughs at me, and I shoot him a charming smile, making his ears turn pink. My brother rolls his eyes. He looks at a algae covered wreck below us and points to it.

"See that one?" We both nod to him, "Sunk by a U-boat, she was." I raise my eyebrows in disbelief. A U-boat, here, in the middle of God knows where?

"There were U-boats around here?" Jacob asks, and I lean further to make eye contact with the man as if to agree with Jacob's question. He waves us off and looks at us seriously.

"Loads. Whole Irish Sea was rotten with German subs. Wager you'd have half a navy on your hands if you could unsink all the ships they torpedoed." He arched an eyebrow, laughing before walking off. Creepy I note, and nearly cry with relief as I see the dock approaching us after rounding a headland to a rocky half-moon bay.

I look around to see the beauty and the not so magnificent areas of this small town- a few areas with bright green grass, colorful fishing boats, ugly, loud generators, large satellites on the quaint homes, a group of sheep, and the muddy pathways that travel to each building. I grab my bags from Jacob, the bright colors of my- admittedly- geeky R2 D2 suitcase, my unicorn backpack, and my duffel with patches of multiple bands and random items all over it, seeming to contrast with the bleakness of the village, but it comforted me more.

We were looking for some place called the Priest Home, which made me snort and joke about how I was going to light on fire the second I walked in as soon as I heard the name. We asked multiple people for directions, but they all just gave us blank stares. "They speak English, right?" My dad wonders aloud after my rant on how the people on this island are just fantastic fucking conversationalists, earning 7 more dollars to the swear jar.

Just when I was going to start busting out the basics of multiple languages my mother made me learn years ago for the bettering of my college application, we saw a church and thought it would be our relief. We walk in and I sigh as the air seems warmer, considering the air seemed surprisingly cold despite the fact that it was fucking June. But my relief it cut short when I realize it's just a stupid museum.

"Oh come on!" I scream in frustration, making a man run out to see us. His face lit up until Dad explained our issue, making his smile fall.

"I reckon you're after the Priest Hole." He corrects. "It's got the only rooms to let on the island." He continued to give us directions, making Jacob and I exchange amused looks as his Welsh accent shined through. As our dad turned to go, Jacob asked the man a question.

"Where can we find the old children's home?" Throughout the week I had been told of the trip, Jacob informed me about all the ideas he had as to how this would avenge our grandfather, and that's the only reason I hadn't compelled dad to let me stay home with mom and her Book Club and Mackena's in-promptu sleepovers.

"The old what?" My stomach sinks in nervousness. Were Jacob's dumb ass attacks finally proving to be even worse than usual and he picked the wrong middle of no where fucking island? Jacob looked just as panicked as me, seeming similar to a deer in headlights.

"It was a home for refugee kids? During the war? A big house?" Each question that fell out of his mouth sounded more panicked, considering I was clutching his bicep in warning if he fucked up. The man bit his lip and looked at us in pity as I did my best puppy dog eyes.

"I don't know about any refugees but I think I know the place you mean. It's way up the other side of the island, past the bog and through the woods. Though I wouldn't go mucking about up there alone, if I was you. Stray too far from the path and that's the last any one'll hear of you- nothing but wet grass and sheep patties to keep you from going straight over a cliff." I wrinkle my nose in disgust.

"That's good to know." Our dad says, eyeing us. "Promise me you two won't go off by yourselves?"

"All right, all right." Jacob says immediately, while I opt for a silent smile and a quick cross of my fingers. Our dad looks at me in warning and I roll my eyes.

"Fine, jeez." I say. The man looks between the three of us.

"What's your interest in it anyhow? It's not exactly on the tourist maps."

"This place has tourist maps?" I ask sarcastically, my eyebrow raising.

"Just a little genealogy project." Dad interjects, inching towards the door. "My dad spent a few years there as a kid." He looked physically uncomfortable talking about Granddaddy, and he quickly ushered us out.

I make eye contact with Jacob quickly as we realized it- the place really does exist.

— — — —

ᗰᗩᖇIETTᗩ

— — — —

I'm in a writing mood. I hope you enjoy my on slot of heavy uploads unlike the month(s?) without so much as a half assed authors note.

— — — —

Do you think Rose will fit in with the drunks?

Would you want Rose to invite Mackena to the island and make her a regular?

Do you think Rose will like the isolated style of the island?

What animals do you guys have? I'm genuinely curious. I have a white pug named Voldemort, but we call him Tom.