Chapter 17

Ruth Graham Bell once said that a happy marriage is the union of two forgivers.

I'm not good at forgiveness. I never have been.

I've never had to forgive Tyler for anything.

Except now.

Because it's 4:44 in the morning on the dot, and I'm lying in the bed in a tank top and sweatpants, on my left side, my head proper up with my right arm, my left hand holding my phone at Grey's Anatomy plays on Netflix. My daughter lies next to me, sleeping soundly.

It's 4:44 in the morning and he didn't call. I haven't seen him since ten this morning.

No phone call to tell me he got there safely.

Not phone call to tell me he ate dinner.

No answering the phone to tell me he's staying in the city tonight.

I even called his building to find out if he showed. His Secretary said yes, he showed, and he left around six.

I'm annoyed to shit, and I've thought about putting the baby in the car and going to my parents, or Delaney's, or anywhere to distract myself from that fact that I'm in his California King sized bed with sheets I just changed without my husband.

I tried sleeping already. Multiple times. I've given up.

I sigh, shaking my head to clear the bad thoughts, and I focus on the show.

Thunder rumbles loudly outside.

My show freezes.

No. Is the internet out? Are you serious?

Pissed, I start hitting the screen with my left index finger repeatedly. The screen goes black for a moment, and then starts buzzing in my hand.

It's a number I don't recognize, but being born and raised in The Hamptons, I'd know the area code even if I had dementia.

Who is calling me at 4:47 in the morning?

Hoping it's Tyler, I press answer.

"Hello?" I ask, speaking quietly so I don't wake the baby.

"Yes, hi, is this Tyler Cerda's wife, Carmen?"

"Yes." I say. "Who is this?"

"My name is Doctor Perrish. I'm afraid there's been an accident."

I swallow the lump rising my throat.

"An accident?" I repeat.

"Yes. I'm going to need you to come down to the hospital."

"Okay." I say, my voice thick. "I'm on my way."

I hang up.

Carefully, I rise, picking up Emily, I dial my Mom with my free hand, shoving shit into the diaper bag.

She doesn't answer, so I call Dad.

He doesn't answer, so I call the house.

It's almost five in the morning.

"Hello?" Mom grumbles. I clearly woke her.

"Mom?" I say.

"Carmen?" she asks.

"Mom, the hospital called me, I'm alone with the baby and Tyler never came home. Mom they said there's an accident!"

"An accident." She says. "Okay, alright sweetheart. We're on our way to the hospital."