She mumbles something that must be affirmative as she nods into my cloak.

"Well. Apologies for the slight detour, Brice, but Danielle here seems to need my help."

"Our help."

I smile a tiny bit. "Yeah."

Danielle sniffles, so I lift her up into my arms and carry her towards my house.

"How did you even know she needed help?"

"I enchanted the forest so that when someone enters it, I am notified," I respond, and Brice shrugs.

"Wait, I thought we were going to the City?" Brice shouts, jogging to catch up with me.

"Well, of course! But, first, the house. I don't intend to let Danielle sit defenseless in the middle of a battleground."

"Who's gonna watch her?"

"I'll sort it out," I say as I weave around a tree and finally open the door to my house. "Sorry, Danielle, but I'll have to set you down for a moment," I apologize, lowering her gently onto the couch. She sniffles, rubs her eyes, and nods, and I frown as I open up the basement. "Up we go!" I say, lifting her up into the air again. "Look here, Danielle, look how exciting this place is!"

"Woah," Brice breathes, taking in the room's new appearance.

I've last-minute child-proofed the place and cast a spell so that it will cater to Danielle's wants and needs, and so when we take our last step down the spiral staircase, we look up to see the whole room covered in light blue wallpaper and neon orange carpeting. Well. There are also piles of stuffed animals scattered about, and a collection of videogames next to a TV and console in the corner. (The room appears considerably smaller, now, so as not to frighten Danielle with its daunting size.)

"Bathroom to your left, mini-fridge to your right-" I pause as I set her down on a pile of pillows and stuffed toys. "Do you have any allergies?"

She shakes her head.

"Lovely! Now, you just go on ahead and make yourself at home, and Brice and I will be back in, say, an hour or so? Yes. Don't be alarmed if the staircase disappears when I leave; it will reappear if you need it again."

"Y-You're leaving?" she asks, her lip trembling, and I crouch down in front of her once more.

"Only for a bit, friend," I assure her, smiling as warmly as I can manage. "You'll be safe here while Brice and I take care of the scary people."

"Okay, but make sure you don't forget about me!" Danielle says, waggling her finger at me, and I try not to laugh. "And make sure you r- r- Make sure you 'member to help Jenny out of her room!"

"Yes, ma'am, right away," I promise her, but she still looks unsure.

"Pinky promise?" Danielle asks hopefully, looking up at me.

"Absolutely," I reply coolly, holding out a hand and intertwining my smallest finger with hers. Notch, kids are adorable.

This will obliterate my reputation.

Unfortunately, I pinky promised.

☼☼☼

"What if she chokes?"

"I enchanted the house."

"Oh. What if we don't come back?"

"We will."

"How do you know?"

"Trust me. I don't lose."

"I do! Maybe I should've stayed back, I'm going to hold you down."