BOUND (Ch.#2) Book 1 of The Crystor Series

Chapter Two

Octavion watched through the trees as Lydia slammed her car door and marched up the three rickety steps that led to the single-wide trailer she’d rented from a local farmer. She flung open the door and tossed her backpack across the room where it probably landed on the couch like usual. Without bothering to step inside, she spun around to meet his eyes. Even at a distance, she found him easily. He shouldn’t have bothered hiding behind the old shed.

She saw you, ya know. You’re getting careless. Lydia’s thoughts struck his brain with a vengeance. If he didn’t calm her down soon, he’d be listening to her rant all night long.

Less than a second passed and he stood on the top step, looking down at her. “I only came to see if she was all right. You said she fell.”

“I said we fell. And I’m fine, thanks for asking.” She turned and walked into the trailer, leaving the door open.

Octavion stepped inside and gave the door a gentle shove to close it. “Why are you angry with me? I am concerned for both of you, but you said nothing about you being hurt.”

Lydia plopped down on the couch and leaned back against the cushion. “It’s not that. I’m tired of lying to her. She’s the only friend I have here and she deserves to know the truth—all of it—even about you.”

This wasn’t the first time they’d had this conversation and he was pretty sure it wouldn’t be the last. As long as Kira was part of his sister’s life, he’d have to listen to Lydia’s tender heart try to convince his stubborn head to reveal their secrets. Fortunately, using his head was the only way he’d allow himself to think these days. If he thought with his heart, it would surely betray him—again.

“You know that is not an option.”

Lydia sat up and scooted to the edge of the cushion. “Why not? She’s not like the others. She has gifts. She’d accept who we are. I know she would.”

Octavion understood her feelings. Watching Kira from a distance hadn’t just been because he was keeping a close eye on his sister. He’d become more than a little protective of Kira as well. “Why must you always ask? You know I cannot allow this. It is forbidden.”

“Yeah? Like, who’s gonna know?”

I would know.”

He watched as she pulled her long braid over her shoulder, unfastened the band and ran her fingers through the waves of blonde hair. She looked so much like her mother, it was eerie. And when had she become so beautiful? His mind wandered to when they were forced from their home and he’d brought her here, promising their father he’d protect her. She was so young and naïve about this world, but now she fit in better than he did.

“Ouch.”

Octavion’s focus shifted to the present where Lydia rubbed the back of her head. “Blessed Zi’ah! You said you weren’t hurt.”

“Octavion, if father heard you talk like that, he’d have you beheaded.”

“Ha! I am the only male heir. I rather doubt my punishment would be so severe.” He pulled her hand away from her head and explored the area with the gentle touch of his fingers. “You have a lump. What exactly were you two doing?”

Lydia pushed him aside and stood. As she passed through the kitchen doorway and opened the freezer, she mumbled something he couldn’t understand.

“What?”

She stepped back into the room with a small towel pressed against the knot on her head. “I said, ‘she was trying to climb that stupid rope again.’” She returned to her place on the couch. Using her backpack for a pillow, she stretched out with her feet propped up on the arm. “I was spotting her when she let go. We both went down pretty hard.”