Chapter 18: answers

"What a charming and touching moment that was." Ra says with an overly cheerful voice that makes my skin tingle. Atem grabs o to my wrist and shakes his head causing me to fall silent and to abandon any of the hate fueled remarks I wanted to spit at this god. Yugi remains silent and motionless as the golden eyes of Ra take us in, analyzing our very beings with his immortal and timeless eyes. "That truly was inspiring, I mean that from the very bottom of my heart." He smiles brightly as he takes a few steps towards us. He blinks in surprise as Atem and I both push ourselves in front of Yugi and glare daggers at the Egyptian god of the sun.  "It would appear that I have left a bad impression of myself on you three."
   "Don't sound so surprised by that." I grumble. Atem sends me a warning glance before returning his full attention to Ra. Golden eyes regard us with curiosity and sadness. "How could you ever expect us to feel anything but antipathy  towards you with everything that you have said and done?!"
   "I must say that this is a new sensation for me," he says slowly, mulling view his words before speaking. His eyes glazed over with surprise and blatant confusion. "To not be constantly doted on and admired is a rather peculiar sensation. It's something that I never imagined I would ever have to experience." The whole chamber falls silent as we all regard each other with silent expectation and wariness. "It's quite enlightening." Golden eyes turn toward Atem and hold their gaze. "It truly feels awful doesn't it? I believe that I now have a better understanding of your character at this moment in time."
   "This isn't about me." Atem says slowly, his voice echoing through the chamber much like how fathers voice had whenever he would state his new proclamation. "It was never truly about me, that was a lesson that I had failed to realize in my first lifespan on this earth." Ra raises a golden eyebrow in surprise at his response and I can't help but smile at his stunned reaction.
   "It would appear that you are both finally beginning to see with both of your eyes wide open." Ra says with a smile. Yugi fidgets behind us and I glance back in his direction and can't help but marvel at what I'm seeing. Yugi is smiling. He is smiling the brightest smile I have ever seen him give in all of the years that I have known him. It stuns me to my very core.
   "Seeing what exactly?"
   "How life is truly meant to be. It isn't a give and take, earn and receive. To truly enjoy this life you need to realize that this world is so much bigger than just yourself. Open your eyes to everyone and everything around you and then you will finally be able to fully appreciate the life that you have been given." Ra answers with a bright smile that rivals Yugi. "It was because that you lacked that trait originally that you were so drawn to Yugi." Atem looks back at Yugi who can't seem to stop from smiling.
   "What makes you think that was the only factor to my desire to always be by Yugi's side?"
   "I never said that it was the only factor, but it was a rather vital one." He gives a knowing smile. "The reason that I am so confident of that fact is because I was the one who put you two on the same path." My eyes flash as I quickly meet his gaze.
   "What bullshit are you trying to feed us now?!"
   "Yami!" Atem gasps.
   "No Atem, come on! You know that this is utter shit! He was the one who was telling us to forget about Yugi just so we could share one body again, now he's trying to convince us that he was the one who brought Yugi and us together. It doesn't add up!"
   "I understand your skepticism." Ra says smoothly. "But you need to set aside your anger before you will be able to comprehend the truth."
   "Stop speaking in riddles damnit!!"
   "Yami." Yugi whispers softly as he places two gentle hands on my shoulders. I turn back towards him in surprise and take in his serene expression. Less than ten minutes ago he was a teary eyed mess but now he looks as if he has found the answer to all of the worlds problems. "Please calm down."
   "How are you so calm about this?" I ask quietly my voice sounding like an old man's as I struggle to speak evenly.
   "It's because I shared my thoughts with him and  he understands now what was to be expected and why this was brought about."
   "And what excuse could you possibly feed me to even hope that I will come to believe you?" I snap harshly.
   "This was all for your own benefit."
   "Don't patronize me."
   "Yami stop talking!" Atem hisses. I glare in his direction before gritting my teeth harshly and falling begrudgingly silent. "Thank you." I snort derisively in response to his remark which only made him frown.
   "All of this had a purpose, it was a task that both you and your priest had to endure all with all of your companions reincarnations." Ra crosses his arms across his chest as he regards me with a blank expression. "It was a test that confirms the strength and seriousness of your attachments in this world. Your priest has already succeeded in his test, by admitting his eternal loyalty to you." A small smile curls my lips as I think about my eternal friend. "Though your test is significantly different from his. Yours had to do with love."
   Atem and I both blink in surprise and Yugi gleams with joy. His smile seeming to grow exponentially brighter with every single heartbeat. I open my mouth to ask a question but Atem quickly slaps a hand over my mouth to silence me a wary expression evident on his face. Ra chuckles at our interaction before appearing before us in a heartbeat making us flinch in surprise. Ra gently grabs Atem's wrist and removes it from my mouth.
   "The split between you two was supposed to fix itself naturally but I had slowed the process so then I could fest your true connection with Yugi and this life." Ra says slowly. "I apologize for all of the pain that I had caused, but I could see no other way to do this." I glare up at him but he pays it no mind. "When I brought you and Yugi together I was certain that you two would find a way to love each other unconditionally for the rest of your lives, perhaps even two, and I am happy to see that I was right in that belief." Ra places a hand on top of both Atem's and my head. The chamber around us begins to glows in a golden light. "You pass."