Chapter 9: relic

"This is your great solution?" I ask incredulously. My arms are crossed across my chest and my eyes are narrowed. Every muscle in my body is tense as I glance between Joey and Seth before even daring to glance at what he had placed on the coffee table before me. Ever since Seth brought it out he hasnt even dared to meet my eyes. He keeps his eyes firmly trained on the world displayed outside of the far window. Sunlight shining around him like a godly aura but nothing can ease the typhoon of emotions that are raging a war within me.
   "It would make sense." Joeys says softly, his hands outstretched slightly in a comforting gesture. "If you think about it Yami this is our best shot at getting to the bottom of this." My eyes flash as they meet Joey's. He flinches at my sudden glance in his direction, he takes a wary step back from me. His quick retreat only intensifies this feeling of irritation and anxiety beginning to boil inside of me.
   "Seth!" I snap, making Joey jump from my sudden outburst. Seth slowly and reluctantly turns his eyes away from the window to meet my furious gaze. "I have a bone to pick with you."
   "Yami, please calm down." Joey pleads as he steps between me and my direct path to Seth. I glare daggers straight into his eyes which makes him frown but he doesn't budge from his spot.
   "Get out of my way." I hiss.
    "You need to calm down." Joey says seriously. "We don't know what triggers these changes. Do you really want to shift because you were angry at our suggestion?" He looks down at me gently. "Please calm down."
   "Do not speak of something that you cannot even hope to comprehend!" I snap. Joey flinches and Seth's eyes spark with anger as he stares me down from the other side of the room. "This is beyond your abilities of comprehension Joey."
   "You will not speak to my husband in such a way." Seth says seriously as he takes long and smooth strides towards me. He places firm hands on Joey's shoulders making him turn in surprise. "Joey this isn't the safest place for you at the moment."
   "If you're trying to get rid of me I'm not going anywhere." Joey replies obstinately. "I'm staying here with you."
   "Joey, I wasn't requesting for you to leave." He says smoothly. "I was telling you to leave."
   "But why would I-"
   "This suggestion," Seth pauses for a moment as he glances at me, his eyes show an uncertainty that only strengthens my dislike of this idea. "It isn't only for Yami." My eyes widen slightly in surprise while Joey stares at him in confusion. "I will be taking part in it as well, and I don't want you to be here if everything begins to go to hell."
   "Seto." Joey murmurs.
   "Please listen to me Joey." Seth whispers. "Leave for now. I will see you soon." Joey begins to walk away hesitantly, his fingers curling into fists the farther away he gets.  The sound of his footsteps echo through the room but they suddenly fall silent as he pauses in the doorway, looking back at Seth with an outraged and desperate face.
   "You better mean that Kaiba." He says threateningly before disappearing through the door. A small affectionate smile glows on Seth's lips as he stares at the doorway that his love had disappeared through. A soft sigh escapes him as the smile melts away and he meets my gaze.
   "I really hope that all of this was simply a twisted joke." I growl. Seth meets my outraged gaze with a blank and emotionless expression.
   "I wouldn't waste your time for something as trivial as that. I am completely serious about this."
   "Have you gone insane?!" I explode as I storm over to him grabbing onto his shirt collar. "There is a reason that you and I both agreed to lock them away. They are not meant for this world!"
   "So wouldn't it make sense to use them to solve a problem that doesn't directly apply to this world?" He asks in challenge. I glare at him and push him away from me. "We don't have very many options when it comes down to it."
   "I haven't touched that accursed thing for almost eighteen years now. Don't be mistaken by believing that I have any intention of starting now."
   "I am just as enthused by this idea as you are." Seth's says quietly as he fixes his shirt. "Millennium objects are the only option we have right now and the sole connection we have to our past lives. I wouldn't have suggested it if I wasn't certain that this would point us in the right direction." I glance back at him and see his serious expression. "You are just going to have to trust me, like you did before." I sigh deeply.
   "I do trust you." I sigh as I run my agitated hands through my hair. "You need to understand, I hoped to never have to touch that thing again."
   "Believe me, I completely understand." Seth says softly, his voice becoming surprisingly soothing. "That puzzle was your prison for several centuries," I flinch at the word prison, thousands of chills beginning to race down my spine in quick succession. "I don't want to force you to go anywhere near that thing, but we are running out of answers. We are grasping at straws here! That puzzle is the only option we have for you to get close to finding any real answers as to why this is happening." I look down at the golden puzzle that gleams up at me with an almost welcoming shine. If I didn't know any better I would think that it was saying hello to me.
   "Do you truthfully believe that my puzzle is the key to finding the answers we need?"
   "I do." He says smoothly. "Just as the millennium rod is my key."
   "You really do plan to go through with this?" I ask incredulously as I turn to look at him, the golden scepter in his hands.
   "Why would I not?" He frowns. "My oldest friend needs me, and we are desperate for answers." His sapphire eyes glance down at the cold piece of metal in his hands. "And this is the only way to remedy that situation."
   "You never cease to amaze me."  I murmur as I walk over to the table. My heart pounds in my ears as I stand before the millennium puzzle. Sweat slicks my palms as I reach out for the accursed object. Seth watches me with a sad expression as I reluctantly pick up the puzzle. The cold metal pressing into my palms as I try to suppress the anxiety it causes. "Now then, tell me what you need me to do."
   "You need to resonate with the puzzle and go back inside of it."
   "What?!"
   "It will only be temporary." He says quickly. "We both will remain inside of our objects until we come to terms with our past souls."
   "This is insane." I grumble as I begrudgingly sit down, holding the puzzle in my hands.
   "Do you have any better ideas?" Seth asks as he mirrors my position, closing his eyes.
   "Not at the moment." I sigh as I close my eyes. My forehead begins to grow warm with the familiar heat of ancient magic as the eye of Horus glows on my forehead. "But it's too late now." I whisper as I feel myself begin to slip away within the puzzle. The familiar stale air surrounding me like a smothering cloak until my eyes fly open and come face to face with a dark, empty hallway.

Love eternal (book 5)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें