Chapter 2

Constance Chase was a twenty eight year old surgeon, who had just qualified with flying colours from her final exam to become one of the youngest cardiothoracic surgeons in the entire country. She also happened to be one of the only females. She had been given the weekend to celebrate her achievement with her best friend - Jac Naylor - and now, on this cold and wet Monday morning, Connie had to face the reality of going back to work. Only not her usual work. She loved her job and would be thrilled to get back, if only she hadn't been roped into mentoring a group of first year medical students for one day (six hours) every week, for the next year. Today was going to be the first time she was going to meet the students, and in all honesty, she wasn't looking forward to it at all. They had practically just come out of high school, so she didn't expect that they'd be keen to learn. Just as she was about set off and go in to work, she got a text from a man named Henrik Hanssen. At the moment, he was just her colleague, but the way that he bossed everyone around, she wouldn't have been surprised if he was her manager soon. She dug into her pocket and pulled out her flip phone, struggling to read the text on the dim screen.

'Good luck meeting the students today... What I wouldn't give to be in your position! Just want to tell you, they're all aged between 18 and 19, and there'll be 23 of them. - H'

'You must be joking! I'm dreading it.'

'Spending my Monday morning with a rowdy bunch of hormonal teenagers, my idea of Heaven.'

'Oh, you're hilarious Henrik...'

Connie smirked and put her phone back in her pocket, sighing as she climbed in to her car. It was a 1996 Acura Integra in white, and was Connie's pride and joy - her father had bought it for her to celebrate her achievements, and it was a truly beautiful car (it also happened to be one of the most popular cars on the market). She'd passed her driving test as soon as she could, and was also thinking about learning how to ride a motorbike, as she really liked the look of them, but she couldn't bear to part with her car at the moment. She drove off to the ED where she worked, which was only about ten minutes away if the traffic was good. She was due to hold her seminar in one of the meeting rooms, that had just been fitted with a new projector. The old ones were ridiculously slow, and it drove her around the bend when she tried to change onto another screen, as it stuttered so much. As she pulled up outside the ED, there were a group of boys stood outside having a bit of a laugh, and Connie sighed as she realised she had to walk past them. They were all pushing each other round, and one of them wolf whistled at her as she got out of the car. Another was pushed into her accidentally as she walked past, causing the rest of the group to laugh. However, the boy who was pushed into her looked up, and apologised, which made a nice change, and then she blushed as he raked his eyes over her, studying her intently. He soon turned around, and refocused his attention on his group, and so Connie walked off, making her way inside. She realised that with her being a young teacher in a room full of teenagers, she was bound to be seen as a bit of eye candy for the boys. She arrived in the room about fifteen minutes before her seminar was due to begin, and she decided to set everything up and get it ready before her students came in. Suddenly, her phone began to ring, and she smiled as she saw that it was Jac. She answered it, and as usual, the young woman was bustling with questions.

"All ready for your first day as a teacher, Miss Chase?" She mocked, and Connie laughed.

"I'd hope that they'll be calling me Connie soon enough, thank you very much. It's not an official job title either - wish I was back up there with you."

"You don't - we've just had a crowd of drunks stumble through. Can tell what kind of day this is going to be. You up for drinks after work?"

"Count me in," Connie laughed. "23 rowdy teenagers are going to be enough of a reason to get me plastered!"