He was supposed to tell Harry how he felt today, but how could he now? Louis felt discouraged and confused; clearly he had been reading Harry wrong this whole time.

Harry didn't love him the way Louis thought he might. The conversation was a reminder for Louis that his friend's affection was only for show. That's all they ever would be anyways: friends.

"It's okay H, we'll help you through it," Niall promised, knowing that there would be no other option from their boss.

Louis and Liam looked to Simon with a thousand and one questions about what would happen next.

"I'm a bit surprised you're fighting me so much on this Harry, I'm not asking you to actually marry him," the graying man countered with a chuckle.

But that's what was hurting Harry the most. He couldn't go through with a fake proposal. How painful it would be to have everything you ever wanted and then have it inevitably ripped away from you.

Louis tried tirelessly to get Harry's attention. He wanted so badly to comfort the boy and tell him that they could get through anything together, that a proposal might not be the worst thing in the world, but Harry refused to meet his gaze.

He couldn't look at Louis without crying, without wondering what kind of ring the caramel haired boy might pick out if any of this were real.

It just hurt too much.

"So what's our timeline for this Simon?" Liam cautioned.

"I want Louis to propose at the next concert. Let's do this in front of as many people as possible," Simon said, beginning to pack up his briefcase.

"What?!"

"That fast?"

"You're giving us three days?"

Harry jumped up without a word and ran into his bedroom. The three boys were left gaping at each other.

Louis' eyes stung, feeling so lost without Harry by his side. He looked helplessly into the hallway as though he was expecting the boy to come back.

But as Louis was met with silence, he realized that Simon's imaginary world was not real life. Harry wasn't his boyfriend and he never would be.

"I'm sorry how apparently upsetting this is to you boys, I thought you would be capable of following simple instructions without a struggle by now," Simon sighed and moved towards the door.

"It's a lot more complicated than you know," Louis stammered.

"Right, well I expect to see you down on one knee so whatever complications you may have, I suggest you sort them out sooner than later," Simon nodded and left the boys to fix the disaster he had just caused.

~

Half an hour had passed since Simon's departure. The boys were hoping that Harry would come out of his room to talk but it seemed like he might never unlock the door.

"What are we gonna do? How can I make this better?" Louis looked to his band mates.

"Try to talk to him; just go see if he's willing," Liam took one more peak down the hallway.