Chapter Seventy ۞ Corvan vs Valeriana

Start from the beginning

"I must admit, I should have my aides do that too," Raziel said, whistling. Soon, he was singing along.

The entire arena was suddenly swept with silence. Valeriana and Corvan appeared and walked to the middle to greet each other before the battle. Like the other duelists have done before them, it was a means of paying respect to one's opponent.

Valeriana took pride in her team members' hard work. Amaranthine was a very effective battle armor. When guarding against fire-wielders, it was practically invincible. Not to mention she felt very confident in her new getup. The test run they did a while ago made her even more confident.

However, Corvan did not shine any less. He had his hair in a high ponytail with a ruby red band around his forehead. His clothes bore the proud color of Arlandia. They did away with heavy armors and mixed his overall gear with leather and metal. The combination of black, red, silver, and gold, gave him a searing and somewhat rough aura. However, he brought it with regality and sophistication.

His armor emphasized his figure, mapping out the curves of muscles while giving way to flexibility. The design was intricate and was obviously given deep thought to suit his character in battle.

Words did not give him justice.

"Nice armor." Valeriana decided to speak first, seeing as if she didn't, he might think to insult her first.

He was silent.

"What?" she asked. "Never saw a girl like this?"

"You look different," he said. "But you sound the same."

"Jerk, what." She wasn't actually asking a question, but rather expressing her disbelief at his words.

"It seems your team did a good job, but I'd rather see what you have for me in this duel."

His eyes became cold as he drew out his sword from its sheath. Valeriana was already used seeing him be aloof and everything, but it would be the first time he was this cold. It was a total contradiction to the blazing heat of his fire.

Cold Prince, now I see why they named him that.

Valeriana drew out the Empyrean and let its blade flash against the light. Her focus was trained sharp on Corvan. Faintly, she sensed Tamara's voice echoing in the background, but it was not enough to break away her concentration.

"The duel will start in three, two, one!"

A light was launched, but neither of them moved just yet. The stillness of the atmosphere drilled tension into the audience. They didn't know who would make the first move. Valeriana herself was a bit hesitant in attacking first. She didn't know what sort of tricks Corvan got up his sleeve.

But, of course, her hesitations were quick to fade and the excitement of the fight replaced it. If she didn't make the first move, she doubted with all of Corvan's ego that he would. Instead, she let all the months' worth of training flow in and calmed herself. Everybody might think she would lose, but this wasn't a fight she would let go very easily.

She moved into position and brandished her weapon. Its lightness was astounding, yet the way it whistled as it cut through the air was clear as day—it also came with unprecedented sharpness!

Her muscles quivered from the thrill as she bounded forward, delivering the first strike. Corvan was quick to act and held up his own weapon to counter. He moved very casually, yet the cold and calculating look in his eyes only further intensified. He let Valeriana get the first move, but did not let her control the pace.

Instead, he decided to remove the wind from her sails and lashed out an attack himself. After parrying the blow, he willed his body to strike. His own blade cut sharp from the right, targeting Valeriana's side.