Chapter 4: Recovery

I ran, ran without a care who saw me.

My muscles burned as I sprinted back to the entry, my ribs ached. But I didn’t care; I couldn’t have time to care.  I needed to escape as fast as possible.

Why did I have to walk so far away? I didn’t even realise how far I had travelled from block seven. I was paying for that mistake now.

I skidded to a halt I threw the door open and charged inside. I reached back to the door to slam it shut. There I rested heavily panting relying on the door for support.

I looked around the same room I had seen before I left. But this time it didn’t look like the ‘magnificent movie room’ I saw before. This time it was cold. Harsh. And felt hostile. And me? I didn’t belong here.

Once again, I felt like an alien on unknown territory. I felt like I was the monster here! Not them.

My breathing returned to some form of rhythm. So I decided to walk back to my room. That was the only place I felt some sort of closure.

Just as I opened the door I noticed something on my bed. A tray, with an array of different foods and drinks with a piece of card next to the tray.

I picked up the card:

Hi, it’s Damen again.

I noticed you haven’t had any food in a while so I brought some up for you.

I wasn’t sure what you liked so I brought a bit of everything.

Hope you enjoy it.

Some of the butterflies returned to my stomach as I read the note.

I forgot about what had happened before. Some essence returned to me making me feel whole again. 

I looked down at the food. Sandwiches, cereal, bars and other edible goods. Only now I noticed I was hungry. I was too busy concentrating on the things around me I never noticed it before. But now I had thought of it it was at the front of my bind, refusing to budge until it was satisfied. 

Luckily the food wasn’t cooked food so I could monster through it without it burning my throat.

After, I decided to have a bath to cleanse my self. I grabbed my towel and toiletries from my room and made my way to the bathroom.

I exited into  the hall way and into the bath room which was huge! Including the bath as well! It was a large room, perfectly rectangular. The long marble bath occupied one corner of the room making up just under half the room filled. On the wall with the bath was a huge mirror enclosed into the wall with enough room to put your toiletries. Then within arms reach from the bath was a long standing reflective silver radiator that was also a place to put your towel on while you weren’t using it. Then at the far corner of the room was a shelf built into an indent of the room for the rest of the towels to go.

The room was neutral colours magnolia, creams and browns which gave a nice ‘cosy’ effect. I walked to the bath and started filling it up. Changed so I was just in a nice red towel that I now claimed as my favourite.

I inspected my self on the huge wall mirror...

My once silky raven black hair was now matted from the long sleep and running I had done previously. There was still a shine to it, but they disappeared when a knot came in its place. Usually my hair was straight with some layers that rounded around my face, then after it fell loosely until halfway down my back.

 The next thing I noticed was my skin. Pale. It was always pale with tints of rose when ever a blushed, but this time it was an endless abyss of white- which made a startling contrast with my black hair.

Then I noticed my eyes, today they were more blue than anything else. My eyes usually changed colour depending on how I was feeling. Sometimes when I’m ill they turn to a light sky blue. When I’m depressed they turn to a shade of sapphire. But today they were turquoise, with only small flecks of grey.

I think the colour suited me like this. Where there was an unknown depth hidden in my eyes, the grey complimented the black really well. My eyes are- most of the time, grey. It wasn’t too much of a contrast with my skin either.

My cheek bones are high and slightly narrow with a slight rounded plumpness when ever I smiled. My nose was small or ‘button nose’ people used to say. My lips are a mix between rounded plumpness and thin and relatively long. It was weird, but I thought it complimented me quiet nicely.

Then the rest of my body, quiet slim from the sports I used to do. I wasn’t just bone and skin; I had fat which left my body with curves. I was average height for my age I guess 5’5 I think I was when I was last measured.

After inspecting my self I turned the taps off and quickly ran into the other room to grab a brush. I ragged it through my hair quickly before changing to enter the bath.

I dipped my toe in first to make sure the temperature was bearable, and then I completely submerged my self in the liquid blanket of warmth...

(30 minutes later)

I grabbed my vest top and pyjama pants from the other room and quickly changed.

With my hair wrapped securely in the towel I prepared my things for my lessons tomorrow. Bag, pens, books, note pad, timetable and map. Then I grabbed some clothes for tomorrow; black Skinny jeans, my Sylvester and Tweety shirt and one of my favourite black baggy hoodies.

That solved my simple problems. But the rest of them gnawed deep in the crevasses of my mind threatening to keep me awake with them.

I unwrapped the towel from my head and collapsed onto the padded softness of the mattress.

Why should this be me?

Should I like these things because of Damen or hate them for the things they are- like Coby the shape shifter?

What should I do tomorrow when they take me out of this place and into one of the normal dorms where there is no escape?

All these questions persisted in my head unsolved.

Finally I mentally collapsed which left me with nothing to do but to dream the night away.