*Chapter Thirty-Five*

I felt myself turn towards Neraine, but my body no longer felt like mine anymore. With the two giant, white, fluffy wings, she looked like an angel. The hate had vanished from her eyes. It didn't take me long to figure out that just like me, she had been possessed by something. She clenched and unclenched her fist, and confusion crossed her face as if she was trying to figure out something complicated.

“What's wrong?” my voice said with a huge grin on my face. “Can't use that body, Phoebe?” I paused with the same grin etched on my face. “Or is it Nixeria?”

Neraine looked up, and she faced me with a solemn look.

“What did you do?”

I threw my head back and laughed. I desperately wanted to stop this, but I was helpless.

“You can do nothing about it,” I grinned even wider.

“How did you manage to get out of my seal?” she hissed. “Leave this girl's body at this moment.”

“I got out the same way as you did,” my voice assured her. “You have no right to say that since you're taking over a body as well,” I said smugly, and my hand raised up to dust the part of my shirt where Neraine had held me.

She shook her head and took a small step back. She raised her hand in front of her and concentrated, yet nothing happened. I laughed.

“You'll never be able to use your full power if you get the wrong body.”

My eyes snapped back to the portal, and I could feel the anticipation whatever possessed me was feeling. I shot Neraine a smug look.

“Here I go.”

I felt someone tug on my shirt, and I growled. My head turned to the side, and I saw Neraine's eyes. They were full of determination. I felt my hand raise back before it struck the side of her face. Her head snapped to the side, and she fell to the ground, stunned.

“Don't touch me,” my voice said.

“Listen,” she said and looked up to me, straight into my eyes. I knew immediately that she was addressing me, and not the thing that was possessing me. “Your body is not suited for him as well. You can fight him.”

I felt my leg lift up, and I winced when it made contact with Neraine's body. She rolled across the tiles, and blood dripped down her chin.

“Stay silent, and I just might not kill you,” my voice warned dangerously. I turned around and stood directly in front of the portal. I raised my hands up to it and focused it on the chain. A thick crack formed on it, but it didn't break.

“You can't free the chain without my power,” Neraine's voice said calmly, and I looked back to see that she was slowly trying to get up.“Fight it!” she yelled.

That last part was definitely for me.

I was suddenly right in front of her. My hand closed around her pale throat.

“Open it,” I snapped. “Now.”

My hold tightened around her throat, and I felt my eyes narrow at her.

No this cannot happen; I cannot let this happen.

I desperately tried to move my hand away from her.

“Don't you EVER give up.”

My eyes snapped open. White flame appeared all over me. I heard my own scream, and it was as if a weight was lifted off of me, I fell down to the floor gasping for breath. There was a flash of light before Neraine fell down to the floor as well. Her head snapped up, and she glared at me. She lunged at me, and I simply stayed in my place. She pinned me down and brought a knife to my throat. I told myself to stay calm.