Chapter Three - Chance Encounter

Start from the beginning

The room was small, with a single bed, an antique dresser and a closet. Lace curtains opened to shutter windows and a plantbox filled with pastel hydrangeas, and a view of the narrow cobble-stoned street filled with other quaint shops.

"You ok with small room, eh?" Amato asked shyly.

"It's wonderful, grazie," She said with a big smile. Amato nodded and left her to get settled.

Maine loved the room, the ambiance and the view. She took out her clothes and arranged them in her closet. She changed into a red turtleneck pullover, jeans and black boots, her hair in a messy bun and went down to explore the area.

The narrow streets were teeming with tourists and lovers. Wow, grabe mag-PDA mga tao dito, Maine thought, amazed how natural it was for them to be touchy-feely. She was secretly afraid of showing emotion through physical gestures, so afraid of being rejected. This was one of the reasons her relationships never worked. Even Miggy, who was the closest any man has ever gotten to her, complained how she seems so unresponsive whenever he cuddles her. But here, lovers were so amorous. She envied their closeness and wished someday she'd find someone who could open her up that way. She suddenly felt depressed and turned quickly to go back to Dolci. In her haste, she collided against a human wall, with steely arms reaching out to steady her.

"You!" They exclaimed in unison. Alden's face broke into the most incredible smile, his eyes all chinky, his dimple deepening.

Maine's breath caught in her throat, he looked like a Greek god, tanned and buffed, his hair slightly ruffled by the hoodie that went down when they collided. She didn't know whether to be happy or appalled. Happy to see Alden, her secret infatuation, but appalled that she might make a fool of herself without Tonette as her buffer.

"Sinong kasama mo?" He asked, still smiling, looking at her hungrily. Huh, hungrily? Why would he look at her like that? Assumera ka, Maine chided herself.

"Wala, just me. I'm on VL for two weeks." Girl, talaga lang ha, sinabi mo pang leave ka ng two weeks. Di naman tinatanong. Haaaay, Maine, too much info, as though you're fishing for something. Or more like putting yourself out there as bait.

"Di nga? We're shooting a movie here. The whole crew will be in Lake Como next week, I just came here a week ahead to take a break. Di kasi kasama ang Venice sa itinerary so I went here ahead. Busy na kasi starting next week, baka di na ko makapasyal."

"I just arrived today. Wala kang kasama?"

"We arrived yesterday. Sina Leysam saka si Mama Ten kasama ko, pero nasa San Marco Square sila, di ako sumama. Matao kasi eh, I hate touristy places," He smiled ruefully.

Ohmygoodness. Pareho kaming ayaw sa tourist spots, she thought, failing to hide her smile. Childishly, she gave in to her kilig, helplessly smiling widely.

"Uyyy, sa wakas napangiti kita. What's the smile for?"

"We're the same. I hate touristy places." They both laughed.

"Grabe, ang anti-social natin, considering our careers," he said, taking her arm and starting to guide her to walk on. The warmth of his hand penetrated through her thick pullover, making her flush.

"San tayo pupunta?" She asked, momentarily stopping.

"Nakaharang tayo sa daan eh, you want to have coffee first?"

She actually wanted to say no. This chance meeting might start something she would build her hopes on, only to hurt her in the end. But face it, Alden Richards, asking her for coffee. Minus the bragging rights which she didn't really care for, she really, really likes him. She started walking again but in the opposite direction.

"Oh, san ka punta?" He asked, his smile disappearing.

"Gusto mo mag-coffee diba? I know the exact where."

-----

Dolci was not too full when they entered the café. A bell tinkled as they opened the door, a beaming Amato approached to welcome them.

"Maine, table for two, eh?" He guided them to a corner table near the pastry display.

"You know him?"

"I'm staying in the room above this café. As I said, I don't like touristy places including hotels."

"Nice! I envy you, I would have liked staying in a place like this too. Imagine waking up everyday to the smell of baked bread and coffee."

"Exactly."

Her jaw was beginning to hurt from all the smiling. Get a grip, girl, she chided herself. Hay Tonette, where are you when I need you? Without Tonette as buffer, she had no mask to hide her feelings, she was like jelly with him.

"So, what are your plans while here in Venice?

"Naku, no plans cast in stone really. I'll just go around for the next two days, then probably spend two nights in Verona to go around. Later I want to go to Florence, basta I should come back here because my flight back to Manila will be from here."

"Can I tag along?"

"Huh? Seryoso ka? San? Dito, sa Verona o sa Florence?"

"Wherever you'll allow me, Maine. " He looked at her earnestly, as though he was afraid of being rejected.

To be honest, she kind of freaked out with his request. Haba naman ng hair ko to assume he wants my company, she thought. But why else would he want to tag along? Di naman ako tour guide, baka iligaw ko pa siya.

"Look, scratch that, ok lang kung ayaw mo."

"Ha? Hinde, huy, ok lang. Pero honestly, bakit?"

"Bakit gusto kong sumama sayo? Di ko alam. It's just that, everytime I see you, I get drawn to you and I don't want to fight it. "

"Why me? I'm just an ordinary girl."

"I beg to disagree, Maine. You're not ordinary, and even if, for the sake of argument, you are, what's wrong with someone like me getting attracted to an ordinary girl?"

She laughed nervously. Alden getting attracted to her? Hahahaha. Gaga, Maine, for the sake of argument lang daw. Hold your horses.

"Will Leysam and Mama Ten come with us?"

"If it will make you comfortable with me, sige isama natin."

Maine debated on it. She didn't want him to think she didn't trust him. But she didn't like the idea of Filipinos seeing them together, taking photos and assuming she was a girlfriend or something. She could imagine the bashing, of how Alden's taste in women sucked. And then have him deny her. Even though they were not in a relationship, denying her seemed embarrassing.

"I don't really know. Di naman issue yung trust. Pero, di kaya mag-create ng intriga to see us together?"

"So? We're both single. I don't really have to deny or confirm anything. But wait, I never considered your side. Are you ok being seen with me? Wala bang magagalit?"

"On my side, no. Pano si Patring?"

He laughed out loud. His hand covered hers, looking straight into her eyes.

"Don't believe everything you read, Maine."