Chapter 9 - Dire Cravings

I woke up inside my tent; the sun's rays peeked through the open flap as if it was springtime outside. I freed myself from the twisted fur pelt and sat up. For once I was pleased that Shan Yu was not in my tent looking over me, demanding that I awaken. However, that relief soon vanished when I spotted Hayabusa perched on the small wooden table. Next to him was a small loaf of bread that looked stale as he screeched glaringly at me as I crawled out of my comfortable pelt towards him.

The bread had nibble marks on it; clearly the falcon had been at it. I could only guess this was all I would get to eat this morning after what happened last night. I rubbed my belly that had reddened from the flat of Shan Yu's sword. One more hard strike and he would have broken my ribs or pelvis, and upon thinking that, I was glad that he stopped after four hits.

I hesitantly reached for the bread on the table, afraid that Hayabusa would nip my hand, and as I touched the rancid surface, he stepped back and gave a low screech. Well aren't you an obedient bird? Even his pet isn't allowed to touch his prize. I thought as I bit into it. The staleness of it hurt my teeth like I was eating rock. While I ate, I kept my eyes on the open tent flap wondering when Shan Yu was going to enter and give me whatever slave duties for the day there was. Did he want me to clean the mess hall and the stables again? I wondered as I sank my teeth into the bread again longing to have that delicious meal he had given me the other day. He won't take care of me unless I'm loyal; I have to obey him to survive, even if I'm afraid of him.

By the time I finished, Shan Yu still had not arrived; I peered through the open flap. The sky was partly cloudy a several grey clouds approaching North from the view of the cliff at the edge of the camp. The sunlight had slightly faded as the clouds began to roll in.

None of his men were out and about, knowing they must have been exhausted from riding and setting up camp the previous night. It was peaceful and the only sound was the wind whistling softly from the East. I liked the mountains when they were like this just after dawn. I was always a morning person during my travels, every day I rose looking forward to where I would be going next that I would sometimes even wake up before sunrise with desperation.

The tents were all neatly lined up leaving a small circular gap in the center and the black one was now fully pitched against the start of a mountain wall to my left. I was grateful he was not here to force me to look at it as I turned to my right to locate the path we had entered the campsite from. If I were to escape, it would not be easy considering the fact his men were always on guard, but if something had distracted them, then perhaps I could take my chances.

Suddenly a loud screech rang in my ears as Hayabusa swooped over my head and flew across the camp in a diagonal direction to my right. I barely had time to duck as I quickly looked up again after ruffling my hair, to make sure no feathers fell in, and discovered he was now perched on top of a large cream tent across the camp. He looked at me with a rather meek expression as if gesturing me to come over. Shan Yu is in that tent, I guess he wants me to go to him, I thought as I quietly stepped outside once again having an unpleasant sensation to the cold wet snow beneath my feet.

Great snores came from the nearby tents; one of them was extremely loud and sounded like rumbling. I quietly peered inside the nearest tent to find it was Chi Zhong lying on his back atop a massive pelt. His mouth was wide open with saliva dripping out as he snored like a pig after a feast of slops. I hope Shan Yu doesn't sleep like that, I thought as I hid my disgusted look on my face and made my way towards the tent Hayabusa was on. A gentle breeze brushed against my cheek and the grey sky made me wonder if a snowfall was on the way. It felt like forever since there was last one in these mountains since I first ventured into them, but even the change in weather would not stop the Huns from moving forward.