Chapter 3

I darted toward the window to see if Hunter was on his way. I picked at the lock and a little screech sounded as the window slid upward.

My legs swung over the windowsill and I sat still, wondering if he would ever return. My eyes wandered up to the darkness above me, and I saw the stars dance across the night sky.

My eyelids began to flutter from exhaustion. Daydreams had soon turned to slumber, and I dozed off into a deep sleep.

Minutes

Hours

I waited and waited. I twisted my body around to try and see the clock.

3:47 a.m.

I let out a small sigh, and stared off into the jumble of trees surrounding my home. My heart craved for his arrival through that forest.

Something wasn't right in my mind.

If he really did want me to be the one to come along on his journey, he wouldn't be this late.

My pulse began to race as I thought of where he could be, and what trouble he could be in to make him not be here.

I grabbed a bunch of clothes from my closet, along with socks and underwear. I switched into jeans and a T-shirt, bringing a sweatshirt in case it was as cold as it was last night. I stuffed the items inside my backpack and I silently tiptoed down the stairs. I gathered food and any other necessities I would need.

I carefully pushed open my front door, and I turned my head as I heard a faint noise from behind me. I ignored it and soon, I was outside, making my way toward the trees.

My feet walked at a faster pace through the woods as I searched for Hunter. I knew these woods inside and out since I grew up playing in them.

I skipped around the trees hoping I would see him soon. The rising sun crept through the bottom of the forest, making its way up the canopies as time passed.

My eyes peered down at my feet, and my shoes were covered in mud. At least they were hiking boots.

Not far from my foot was a larger footprint. It was another shoe, but it was a sneaker outline imprinted into the mud.

They came from my left, cutting through the path on a slight diagonal. The footprints did not seem like they were following the faded trail, but we're heading somewhat toward my backyard. The imprints soon faded and I was left to look around without any aid.

I lifted my head up and scoured the area once again, and I saw a strange figure laying at the bottom of the hill I was on top of.

My body jerked at the sight, and I sprinted my way down toward the body. I knelt next to the person's head, and my hand reached toward his cheek. He was cold, not dead, but cold.

A red stain surrounded the middle of his body, and I lifted his shirt. A gash spread across his hip and bruises covered his stomach. I pulled out a blue bandana from my backpack, and covered the cut, gathering the blood that was escaping.

I searched for a wound on his head, and luckily there was no blood. He was unconscious for a reason I did not know, but I figured he must have fallen down the hill and hit his head.

I picked up his head and laid it in my lap as I sat, legs crossed. I brushed his hair from his face and planted a soft kiss on his forehead. I cupped his cheek, feeling trying to warm the coldness of his soft skin.

His eyes began to flutter open and something escaped his lips.

"Aurey?" He managed to say.

"Hunter..." I said looking into his gorgeous starlike eyes.