Chapter 6

Without words, Hunter and I got up on our feet and ran.

It didn't matter where we would run, either way we would become lost. My heart aches at seeing Hunter struggle as a result from his recent injury, but we couldn't risk us getting caught.

After a few endless minutes, we were far from the barn and deep into the woods. All that surrounded us were tall big trees that looked black in the dark night, making my heart quench and turn in fear. I could hear the noises of owls and crickets near and far, and could smell the earthy ground beneath my feet.

"There," Hunter pointed at a clearing in the woods. The tree branches of the trees surrounding it hugged the small area kind of like a shelter, making it feel cozy. As we walked on the clearing, I looked up in the sky that was now a deep vibrant orange. Sunrise.

Hunter dropped his backpack on the grassy bed floor and fell back on the grass and groaned. I could somehow feel the tiredness in his actions and felt myself starting to lay down, inches apart from him. I looked up in the sky and admired the beautiful palette of colors that I have never witnessed before. I could feel myself giving into sleep.

"I'm sorry I got you into this," he said, taking me from my almost slumber. It took me a few seconds to gather the right words to say before they escaped my mouth.

"Don't be, if I could be anywhere-- it would be with you..." I almost whispered the last part. I could feel his eyes fall to mine but I resisted looking at him or else my eyes would be locked into his eyes forever.

"Aurey?" He said, making my heart tremble. I forced my head to turn to his, looking into his eyes and can't stopping myself from smiling. I suddenly felt his big warm hand intertwine into mine and grip it tight, making my entire body shiver.

The thought of Hunter and I lingered in my head for so long until my eyes drifted into a deep sleep as I was wrapped around in Hunter's comforting arms.