CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4

"Skye. Skye wake up."

A familiar voice pulled me from the darkness of sleep. I peeled my eyes open and blinked several times to adjust to the brightness. I looked around groggily and finally focused on Jemma, Coulson and May hovering over me.

"There she is." Jemma murmured, smiling at me. I raised one arm to rub my eyes and winced as pain shot up to my shoulder. I inspected my arm and found my forearm bandaged tightly.

"Right." I muttered, my voice raspy as I sat up. Coulson passed me a bottle of water and I gratefully took a deep drink.

"So, how're you feeling?" Coulson asked. I shrugged.

"I've been better." I said, capping the bottle. He sighed, shaking his head.

"Are you feeling dizzy? Lightheaded?" Jemma asked. I shook my head.

"Just a little sore." I replied, pushing back the blanket that had been haphazardly thrown over me. I swung my legs over the side of the bed.

"So what's going on? Why'd you guys wake me?" I asked, realising that it was odd for all three of them to be in our cramped medical room and the worried look on Coulson's face.

"Well, you've been out for almost a day and while you were out, Bobbi and Trip went out again and they saw another group of survivors. They didn't seem too nice. We're having two people keep watch at all times around the cabin. The damn idiots were causing all sorts of noise, attracting zombies." May explained, passing me a sweater as I stood up, stretching out my aching limbs.

"How many? And men? Women? Weapons?" I asked. May opened her mouth to reply but Simmons cut her off.

"Later. I have to check her wounds first." Jemma said, shushing Coulson and May out. I put the sweater down and sat back onto the bed. Jemma pulled out a first aid kit and pulled on gloves. She wordlessly cut the bandages away from my arm and peeled a small piece of gauze off my arm. Three neat lines of stitches ran along my forearm, no doubt being Jemma's work.

"No infection yet. Looking pretty good so far." Jemma said, gently wiping the stitches over with some peroxide.

"Thanks Jemma." I said gratefully. She raised an eyebrow, bandaging the cuts.

"Really. I know you're pretty much always stitching me up but really," I said seriously, "I don't know what I would do without you." She cracked a smile and taped the gauze in place.

"You'd probably be dead or a zombie." She laughed. I joined in, enjoying the rare opportunity to laugh.

"True." I admitted. I pulled on my hoodie as Simmons put her supplies away.

"How's your leg?" She asked.

"It's fine." I said, pulling up my pant leg to reveal some ugly bruising.

"It looks worse than it is." I explained, standing up.

"Alright. Come find me if it bothers you. Now go get some food and you can talk to May and Coulson." Jemma told me. I nodded and slipped out quietly.

I checked the time as I made my way down the hall to the kitchen. 6:34. I sighed and kept going down the hall, finding May and Coulson sitting down at the table.

"Ah there she is." Coulson smiled. I returned the expression and sat down at the table with them.

"So, weapons, people, numbers?" I asked, getting right to the point. Coulson sighed, getting up and reaching into the cupboards and began cutting up vegetables.