Chapter One.

Photo is of Zeke

27 years earlier..................................

Seven year old Ezekiel Green stood on his tiptoes so he could stare into the bassinet at his brand new baby brother, Tyler Green.

"Zeke, be careful." His mom said as she came into the room.

"He's kind of ugly, isn't he?" Zeke asked.

"Babies are never ugly," His mom said, dropping a kiss on top of Zeke's head.

"Well he's all pink and wrinkly."

"So were you once."

"Can I hold him?" Zeke asked as his mom peered in at his brother.

"When he wakes up you can."

"He sleeps a lot," Zeke pointed out.

"I know but he's only a few days old. Soon he'll be old enough to stay awake longer and play with you."

The doorbell rang and his mom ruffled his hair before moving to answer it. Zeke leaned up to look in again at Ty, he'd heard his mother saying that Ty was a late in life baby but he didn't know what that meant.

His mom opened the door and he turned just as his neighbor from across the street walked in, Mrs Lockhart. She was carrying a small car carrier with a pink blanket and Zeke walked over to meet her at the door.

Mr and Mrs Lockhart were nice people and Zeke liked them, they came to family picnics and always let him play with their dog on Sunday.

"I brought little Rebecca over to meet Zeke," Mrs Lockhart said.

"Oh, I'm sure he'll love that." His mother said.

Mrs Lockhart set the car seat on the couch and peeled away the pink blanket revealing a baby even tinier than his brother. She stared wide eyed back at Zeke and he wrinkled his nose at her.

"Zeke, this is Becky. She's going to be our new neighbor." His mom said.

"She's awful tiny."

"Well, Becky is a very special baby." Mrs Lockhart said.

Later Zeke would understand that the Lockharts had been trying for years to get pregnant and had given up hope.

"Why didn't you get a boy?" Zeke asked.

"It doesn't work that way," Mrs Lockhart replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry you didn't get a boy."

Mrs Lockhart laughed and Becky began to cry. Her mom lifted her from the car seat and Zekes mom turned to him.

"Would you like to hold her?" His mom asked.

He shook his head but his mom didn't seem to care, she lifted him onto the couch and then Mrs. Lockhart gently placed the tiny baby on his lap. Becky quit screaming to stare up at him and he looked back at her with a certain disinterest.

"How am I supposed to play with her?" He asked.

"When she's bigger the three of you can all play together," His mom said.

"Yeah, only she's a girl."

"Trust me in a couple of years you'll all be great friends," His mom said.

Present day.....................

"Becky!" Zeke shot up into the sitting position in the tiny white bed.

"Sir!" A nurse rushed to his side.

"Where am I?"

"You're at memorial hospital, you were in an accident."