Chapter 16

Derek

The next day, Derek didn't feel like going to school, so he convinced his mom he was sick. He knew she didn't believe him, but for some reason, she let him stay home. Derek figured she knew something else was wrong, but she wasn't going to push him until he was ready to talk. Which would be never. He didn't want to talk about Stiles, or think about Stiles, and he definitely didn't want to see Stiles. Every time his face flashed through Derek's thoughts, he wanted to punch something, or cry, or sometimes both. 

He stayed in his room most of the day, other than to use the bathroom. His mom tried getting him to eat breakfast and lunch, but he told her he wasn't feeling well enough to eat. He just wanted to lay in his bed and watch Netflix. Even though he didn't want to think about Stiles, he couldn't help rewatching the movies they watched together. He tried to stop, even turned off the tv, but he couldn't help it. He'd never gone through such a hard break-up before because none of his exes were Stiles Stilinski, the guy he'd liked since he first saw him, the stupid dorky kid who always acted like no one was watching, even in a room filled with people. 

"Derek," Cora's voice called from the other side of his door. He didn't say anything because she was going to come in anyways. He hadn't looked at the time all day, but he figured out quickly that school was over when Cora came running into the house yelling, and then Laura  screaming for Cora to shut up from the kitchen. "Der, I'm coming in," she said, already pushing his door open. He didn't look up from where his face was shoved in his pillow. "I brought you some hot chocolate. It's really cold in here."

"Thanks, Cor," he mumbled, turning his head to look at his little sister. She smiled warmly and sat the cup on his table next to the bed. 

"I know you're not actually sick," she admitted, sitting on the edge of his bed. "But I also heard what happened, so I understand. Everyone at school is talking about it, even though you guys are upperclassmen. Everyone's calling him a fake, you know? They said he only dated you for the attention, but they didn't see you guys together. Stiles loved you, or at least cared about you." She shifted uncomfortably as Derek stared at her, waiting for her to leave, but she didn't. "I know I'm just your little freshman sister, but I'm here to talk if you need it."

"I'm fine, Cora,"  He assured her, even though it wasn't true. "Thank you for the hot chocolate."

"Der, break-ups aren't the end of the world. You have to get back on your feet, show him what he lost. I love you, Derbear. You gotta stop moping." She smiled softly and tousled his hair before getting up and leaving his room, shutting the door behind her. 

Derek sighed heavily and sat up, grabbing the cup Cora left for him. It smelled amazing, so he figured why not drink it? He hadn't eaten anything all day, and the most he had to drink was a cup of water. He took a small sip, in case it was still too hot, and smiled thoughtfully. Cora didn't make this hot chocolate, because if she did, it'd be watery and not chocolatey enough. Derek's mom must have made it. That was the only logical explanation for the amazing taste. Still, he appreciated the thought Cora put into the whole gesture. 

He sat the now half empty cup back on the nightstand and picked up his phone, expecting a thousand text messages from Lydia, or even Allison. He wasn't wrong about that. There were nine texts from Lydia, two from Allison, and one from. . . Stiles. Derek hesitated, thumb hovering over Stiles' name. He wanted to check it, but he wasn't sure what it could say, or whether or not it would make him happier, or make him mope even more.