14. Never Give Up

Egan jumped up and ran to the kitchen cupboard, frantically pulling items from it and throwing them at Samuel or Mikayla, occasionally the odd item flew to Michael as well. Flasks of water, strange rocks and torches all flew through the air, barely missing Andy or Brenden's head at times, but always landing perfectly in the hands of the recipient. 

Egan ran back to me, "Take these," he told me, pouring a heap of crystals into my hand. "They're salt crystals; they'll harm the demon if they touch it. And this," he handed me a flask of water, "Is holy water. Take Andy and Brenden into the forest and line the clearing with it. Make sure they're safe," he instructed.  

I nodded, standing up. 

"Ailia," Michael ran over to me. "While you're lining the clearing with the water, imagine white light like the shield. It'll cast a circle around you. If someone or something walks through it, you'll have to re-cast it. Just do the same thing again. Trust your instincts," he advised. 

I nodded again and walked over to where Andy was comforting Brenden. "Come on," I instructed. Andy took Brenden's hand and pulled him up. 

"Ailia," Egan called, throwing something. I caught the torch without even knowing where it was.  

I quickly led Andy and Brenden through the room. Brenden picked up the barking Benji as we went. I ran through the backyard and ducked through the gap in the fence, shining the torch for Andy and Brenden. Once they were through, I lead them down the path to the clearing. I stuffed the salt crystals into my pocket on the way. 

When we reached the glade I told Andy and Brenden to head to the centre. I poured holy water around the clearing, all the while imagining the white light as Michael instructed. When I finished, I joined Andy and Brenden in the centre of the opening.  

"There's a demon in there, isn't there?" Brenden asked with a worried look on his face. 

"Yes," I whispered. 

"Put Benji down," Andy suggested. "He'll be able to warn us if it's coming this way."  

Brenden nodded and placed the dog on the ground. Benji ran to the edge of the circle and lay down, facing the pathway. He was only a puppy, but his instincts told him how important this was. 

Andy pulled Brenden into his arms, "It'll be okay," he muttered into his ear. I moved to stand behind Benji, wishing I knew what was going on inside the house.  

"Ailia," Andy called. 

I looked behind me at him. 

"What happens if the demon comes here?" 

"I fight it," I replied, gently touching the salt crystals in my pocket. 

"What do we do?" 

"Keep safe. Keep each other safe." 

Andy nodded.  

Benji picked his head up. I looked down the path to see two figures stumbling through the forest. I caught Mikayla as she fell into the circle; Michael was helping her. We sat her down on a log and Michael took Mikayla's jacket off.  

"Re-cast the circle," Michael instructed.  

I ran back to the edge of the clearing and swept my hand across where Michael and Mikayla came through, imagining brilliant white light pouring from my hand. I ran back to the others when I finished. Michael gently pulled the back of Mikayla's top up, revealing a large wound along her back.  

"Eww," Brenden muttered, pressing his face into Andy's chest. 

Michael placed his right hand just above the cut and began to heal it.