Chapter 21: Through the Looking Glass

Start from the beginning

But she didn't fall. The scream in my throat ripped through the room as I watched the two men hit the ground in tandem, blood beginning to seep out from under them as they squealed in pain before going silent. Upon hearing my voice, Lauren lifted her chin and locked her eyes to mine. It was then when I made the haunting connection.

They weren't just dark eyes. They were dark familiar eyes. They were mine.

Arm outstretched, the girl looked like she was trying to reach for me, her features desperate and full of concern. "Camila..." she uttered softly, just as everything began to slow down once more. I swore, moving my limbs and tearing towards her at a frustratingly slow pace. Lauren was still; her eyes no longer focused on me, but on the space just above.

What I saw had my blood turn to ice once again. The third man had taken the one moment Lauren had turned away to use his mace-like weapon and drive it straight into the girl's side. It was spinning, spurting blood behind her as it tore violently into her flesh, bearing into her body. I tried to look away, but control over the dream was no longer mine.

She then cried out, a sound that was horrifying to my ears before her back arched and the man went flying away similar to the way I had only moments ago. He slammed into the far wall with a sickening thud, the weapon sailing out his hand and hitting the ground with an unpleasant clatter. I rushed over, my surroundings beginning to blur as Lauren went crumpling to the ground, clutching her side.

***

"Jesus fucking christ." I bolted upright, hands pressed down on the mattress and body lined with an uncomfortable layer of sweat. Scrambling around, I looked down to see that Lauren was curled up against close again me just as I had left her, her eyes closed and brow furrowed in pain.

I took a few minutes, pulling my shirt up off my body and throwing it to the ground. Lying back, I stared up at the ceiling and waited for my breathing to even out and the sweat on my chest to cool off. I knew that what I saw was just a dream, but there was something at the back of my mind that couldn't help but believe that it may have meant a little more.

"Camila?" Lauren sounded weak, her voice raspy and tired.

"Hey." I looked down at her, rolling into my side so we were facing each other. "Sorry I woke you, I just... had a bad dream."

"Are you okay?"

"I will be."

Lauren's arms trembled slightly as she forced herself up on her elbows.

"What are you doing?" I asked, frowning.

"It hurts." Lauren replied quietly, giving up and dropping down on her stomach. "Really bad."

"The painkillers have probably worn off." I sat up and reached blindly for my phone, checking the time. It was just after five in the morning, my heart sinking upon the realization that we had only been asleep for a measly two hours. Tossing the device back on the bedside table, I pulled the blankets off my body and slung my feet over the side of the bed. "I'll go and get you some more."

"You don't have to." Lauren inched forward.

"I do have to." I glanced behind to give her a small smile. "You look like you're about to go into labor over there you're in so much pain."

"Thanks." Lauren twisted her torso with a grunt.

I got up, padding outside and heading down the hall towards the living room. Flicking on the light, I cringed when the scent of stale iron hit my nose and my gaze travelled to the pile of bloodstained towels near the door. Shuddering, I worked on doing my best to ignore the smell of the room and carefully filled a glass of cool water from the tap. After retrieving one of the painkillers Shawn had ordered for Lauren, I turned the light off again.