Chapter 22

Twenty-three of the pack's best trackers were waiting for them when they arrived in Montreal.

Katherine took in the old warehouse where they gathered and assessed the group as a whole. There was a nearly overwhelmingly awkward silence being shared subconsciously between the wolves. It was delicately layered with threads of deep grief and fury as though those emotions were too strong to vocalize or even register. Katherine's mind, now open to her pack, buzzed with the unspoken response of her kind and added its own confusion to the mix.

She focused her scrutiny on the building, leaving the emotional mélange for others to decipher. It was located in the old section of the city, near Vieux Port, her favorite haunt when she was in town. The building itself was in poor repair, its walls crumbling and decrepit, well deserving of the condemned sign that hung just outside on one of its fences. Pierre had purchased it only recently and hadn't yet started demolition, which is why the trackers had been using it as an informal meeting site for months now.

It was in this building that Rachel had been ambushed. The hunter had followed her and fellow trackers back and used the numerous hiding spots to overtake them when they were taking a break from their work. It was here that Derek had been left to die alone while Sarah ran for help.

There was almost a tangible taste of death in the air here. Katherine breathed deeply, taking in the scent of her fallen peers and committing to memory their murderer's scent. It was exactly the same scent as what had remained on Maxwell's severed arm. Her stomach curled and her heart ached.

Anthony looked ten years older when he climbed onto an old crate so he could be easily seen and heard. Her heart thrummed for him when she heard his voice, so flat and dead. She knew that he was trying desperately to hold onto some measure of hope that he would see Rachael again, but she also knew that it was extremely hard considering.

"The hunter was last seen leaving these premises with Rachel Benoit at approximately 1700 hours. She was last seen alive," his voice broke for a moment and Katherine had to hold herself back from rushing to his side, "but she was unconscious from a blow to the head."

He ran a hand through his hair, mussing it up so that it stood on end, and it reminded Katherine of their father. Anthony was so much like Pierre, so strong and able on the outside while remaining deep and feeling on the inside. She closed her eyes and offered another prayer to anyone who would listen.

"We will be heading out in the usual search pattern in groups of two. Everyone, and I mean everyone," he boomed this last bit out with a glimpse of the anger he must be feeling, "will leave their radios on at all times, no exceptions. Tania and Goose will remain here and monitor everyone's progress then relay the important stuff to me. Do you understand?"

There was a resounding yes from the group who immediately began to form small groups and congregated around a map of Montreal that was overlaid with a circular grid pattern they would be using. Each group was assigned a point. She and Quinn were assigned an older section of town near Mount Royale that she knew well.

Quinn handed her a small black radio tuned to a channel only the trackers would be actively using. His hand brushed hers as he dropped the electronic device into her palm and she felt a tinge of electricity pulse through her. Her eyes darted up to find his, staring at her. She smiled and pushed her face into his shoulder, taking comfort from his presence and his warmth.

He threaded his fingers through hers and turned to approach Anthony and Ronan, who was acting as her oldest brother's second in command and partner for the search.

"I love you." She spoke to both of her brothers but looked at Anthony to make sure he heard.

His smile was small but discernable and she was moved almost to tears when he pulled her close for a rough hug that bordered on painful.