Chapter 51- "No one is going to stop me from having this damn good cheesecake."

Start from the beginning

You know, apart from the fact that this is the first time you're doing something romantic with him with all your feelings just open and out there ready for him to crush them mercilessly and-

"You okay in there?" I muffled voice came from behind the door. "I mean, I can see you from your front window and you've just been standing with your head on the door for the last three minutes. It's kind of unnerving, really."

I blushed, jolting away from the door in embarrassment. However, I moved away so startlingly quickly and combined with my horrible clumsiness I managed to trip over my own feet on the front door rug. Needless to say, I tumbled straight to the floor, further embarrassing myself in front of the guy I had been trying to win over for months.

Harper burst out laughing, confirming my suspicions that he had seen me from the window. Sure enough I could see him, slow clapping as he continued to erupt into peals of laughter. I rolled my eyes and pouted at him as he continued to make fun of my lack of balance. A few moments later, he opened the front door to my house and was standing above me in his pale blue button down and jeans. I narrowed my eyes at his tall stature.

"How did you just get in?" I asked suspiciously.

Harper raised an eyebrow, still laughing. "Leaving your key under the doormat is not one of the most original spots."

I huffed, laying back on the ground. "Come on, baby doll," Harper grins. "Do you need to help getting up?" I watched as he leaned forward and offered me a hand.

"Not from you," I muttered, refusing the hand and pulling myself to my feet. He chuckled again, grabbing my waist and pulling me closer to his body. "You're cute," He commented, smiling at me in a way that made my knees tremble.

"And you're an asshole, what's your point?"

It was Harper's turn to roll his eyes, knowing I was only joking. "And you're infuriating."

"Keeps you on your toes, doesn't it?" I answer cheekily.

"Touché."

"Come on, let's go before my mom realises you're here and takes a bajillion photos of us." Smiling, I grabbed his hand and we walked to his car.

"Hey, I know this may sound pretty weird- " Harper began as he opened the car door for me. "But can we stop at the hospital before our date?"

"Sure," I immediately responded. "Are visiting Kate?"

"Yes, today is the only day that all of us- Mom, Jenna and I are free to go see Kate together. I mean we all go separately during the week and Mom has work and we have finals coming up so we may not be able to all go together, and I'm really sorry- "

"Hey, don't be sorry," I smiled at him, leaning to the side so I could kiss his cheek softly. "I'd love to go visit Kate. That is, if I'm invited- "

"Of course you are." Harper said as if were to be expected. Suddenly, he leant back to grab a coffee from the back seat an handed it to me. "For you, my lady. With extra sugar and a dash of cinnamon, just how you like it." He winked and I giggled.

"Why thank you, sir."

And with that, we were off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I followed Harper down the bleached hallways of the hospital. He had gradually grown very quiet, consumed by this strange sort of sadness that he only let emerge when he was around Kate. It hurt me so much to see him that melancholy. I could tell that he and Kate must have had an incredibly strong bond with the way he and his life would falter when he would think of her tragedy. It wasn't even pain that I could see residing in his eyes, just a dark, hollow emptiness.