65. Defining Scars

Start from the beginning

"Not good Helen," Lexis says and I smile at his childish anger at being interrupted.

"What, why?" She asks a worried look on her face.

"Tell me did you really..." Lexis starts.

"Hi, I'm Shakesp...I mean Hera," I say quickly interrupting before Lexis unleashes his mean side to the poor lady. I walk over to his side and take a hold of one of his hands and squeeze it.

The lady looks at me and then at our hands and smiles.

"I'm Helen, Come on in," She says turning to step back into the shop.

"Be nice," I say to Lexis.

"I'm always nice," He replies as we both walk in.

The lady takes us up to her office which had awards plastered all over and pictures of designs and fabrics.

"So how may I help you?" She asks.

"She needs a dress for a dinner and I need a suit," Lexis says.

"What kind of dinner?" She asks.

"A company celebration of a successful investment," He says and she nods.

"When is it?" She asks.

"Tonight," He replies.

"Darling, what type of clothes do you like?" She asks looking at me.

I was shocked, in dramas and books these ladies where always rude to the poor girl and nice to the rich man, never acknowledging the girl and enforcing their tastes or what they think he'd like on her but this lady actually wanted my opinion.

"Shakespeare?" Lexis says bringing me back from my internal thoughts.

"Oh yes sorry, something that covers, no slits, long hands and ankle long, nothing blue or pink either, pink is too girly and blue...no blue," I say not wanting to reveal how that was my biological dad's favorite color which I had grown to hate.

"No blue, no pink, you have a unique taste, but I'll see what I can do, I'll be back" She says getting up and leaving the room.

I hold my arms together and twitch my lips looking down at my hands. As I raise my head I see Lexis staring at me. Is it because I wanted to dress all covered up?

"Lexis I can't dress skimpy," I say.

"I never said you should," He replies.

"Then why are you staring at me?" I ask confused.

"You don't realize it, do you?" He asks.

"Realize what?"I ask.

"He got to your head" Lexis says.

"Who got to my head?" I ask even more confused. Lexis places his hands over his lips, removes it and with his hands held on his knees leans forward.

"Hera your body is beautiful, if you choose to cover it up for your own beliefs I respect that and won't have an issue with that but that's not why, you cover up because of your biological dad's words on your body and your dressing, and that that I don't support, you are letting him win," Lexis says.

"That's...that's not why," I say.

"Then why?" Lexis asks.

"The scars, I don't like seeing them, it makes it real, I don't want to remember," I say. The scars from his constant assaults especially the iron mark was a mark that would forever be engrained in my body, something i didn't want to see, it brought back memories of the nightmare. My eyes get watery.

Lexis kneels down in front of me and holds my hands in his.

"Remember when we first met?" He asks. And I nod as a tear falls down.

He pushes my hair behind my ear, and gives a half smile.

"When I saw you, I saw your naked body with the imperfections and scars but Hera that's what drew me to you, the imperfections, I saw your scars that told a story that made me curious, here was this girl naked, vulnerable in front of me with a body that told a tale of its own. Your scars tell a tale Hera, a tale of your past, your tears your pain, but most importantly it tells a tale of your courage, your resilience and strength that through the fire, like a Phoenix you were reborn, don't let him win by letting you think otherwise, embrace them as a sign of having survived because that's the beauty of your scars that completes you, you survived and have the marks to prove that life can hand it's harsh cards to you but you faced it and you survived, you are a survivor and they are signs of your survival Hera and that's what makes them beautiful, don't let anyone dictate otherwise," He says as tears pour down my eyes and I nod.

"Do you see my point?" He asks as he wipes my tears with his fingers.

He was right, I had passed through the fire and came out alive, I also had the scars as a sign to remember that no matter what life deals me, I survived and can survive.

"I do" I say nodding seeing things in a new different light.

"Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!!!" Helen says rushing in with an associate.
***
This was not meant to be an emotional chapter but somehow it flowed that way and now I'm in tears because prior to writing this I never saw my scars as beautiful but an ugly reminder of the negatives in my past, thanks to this chapter I see it differently now, thank you to everyone who made me keep writing and of course Lexis, this story is truly speaking to me in ways I'd never have imagined.

Don't forget to vote:-) love you!
-A