“My mother does this charity thing every couple months or so to raise money for shelters and safe homes scattered all over the country.” He paused to take another sip. “She's having a bake sale this Saturday and since I detest going to those things alone, I thought you could come with me?”

Erin stared at him, mouth falling open in shock as her brain slowly digested his words. What the hell? Of all the things she'd expected, Ethan Lachlan, Villain extraordinaire asking her to be his date had not been one of them. She studied his face for a sign..any hint that all this was some sort of practical joke but he returned her look with a grim expression.

She recovered enough to realize she'd forgotten to breathe and inhaled, her brain demanding copious amounts of oxygen to process this unexpected situation. Her heart resumed beating and Erin slowly became aware that Ethan watched her, waiting for a reply. She tried to speak, but her mouth had gone dry. Erin reached for her own wineglass with shaky fingers and took a long sip, keeping her gaze lowered to the table.

Ethan watched her stunned reaction in wry amusement. “Well, it looks like I've finally discovered a way to keep you quiet.”

Erin set down the glass, unwrapping her fingers one by one from the fragile stem as she realized just how tight she had gripped it. Gathering her thoughts under control, she raised her eyes to his, noting the casual way he leaned back against his chair and watched her, a self-assured smirk on his face.

How typical! She thought drily, feeling an overwhelming urge to wipe that annoying smirk off his face. A thought occurred to her and she raised an eyebrow at him, thankful to have her composure back.

“So that’s why you brought me here.” She raised an eyebrow at him, searching for confirmation. Ethan merely smiled in that enigmatic manner of his, playing with the stem of his wine glass.

“Perhaps,” He replied with a non-committal shrug.

“Fair enough.” Erin conceded and leaned forward, her mind racing, searching for answers. “Another question though, why me? I mean, why ask me when I'm sure there are a million women you could ask instead?”

Ethan smiled, “Other women bore me.”

“That's it?”

He looked at her askance, “Is there supposed to be another reason?”

“With you, there always is a hidden agenda.” Her stomach rumbled, reminding her that she’d not yet eaten and she picked up her fork, attacked her food, conscious of Ethan’s eyes on her.

He chuckled, running a hand through his hair. “There is no hidden agenda Sweetcheeks, though I thought we could use this chance to…” He paused, searching for an appropriate word, “…get better acquainted.”

“Right.” She folded her arms across her chest. “Look Ethan, I don’t think it’s a good idea bringing me along, I mean, your family’s bound to realize who I am and that could raise some awkward questions. What do you intend to tell them about our…er…relationship?”

“I will tell them what they need to know.”

“Meaning?”

His lips quirked. “That we’re two adults who have a mutual respect for each other and they should mind their own damn business.”

“Yeah, like that’s going to make them back off.” Erin scoffed, taking another bite of lobster. “If your family is anything like mine, that will only make matters worse.”

“Fine then, I’ll simply tell them we’re sleeping together.”

Erin choked.

“You ok?” Concerned at her distress, Ethan rose and crossed to her seat, handing her a glass of water while his other hand stroked her back.