Chapter 29

[ETHAN]

I stirred on the bed, tightening my grip on Andrew. He mumbled into my chest in surprise before snuggling in. I felt the side of my lips twitch in a smile. I've really missed holding Andrew like this.

Andrew shivered, stirring in my arms. I let my eyes open partway to look at him. Apparently, we'd kicked the covers off ourselves in the middle of the night and had settled with cuddling to create much-needed heat. I felt Andrew shiver again making me put my thigh over his as I rubbed against his back to create warmth. Andrew relaxed into my chest, falling back into uninterrupted sleep.

I tried to go back to sleep, but my body wasn't in agreement. I held Andrew as I looked into the darkness of our room. It was still very early in the morning.

A smile broke out on my lips as I recalled yesterday.

Andrew loves me. The reality really hadn't hit me fully. I wasn't sure I'll ever get used to the reality. The idea of him loving me the same way I loved him made my heart swoon and my body heat up. I wasn't sure if this was what people called being lovesick but it was a lovely feeling, especially when it was reciprocated.

I was awake till the sun came up, dozing off from time to time. When I was fully awake I'd idly exam Andrew's slim form, running a hand through his hair as he slept.

I was pulled out of my half sleep when I heard clawing at the door. I looked straight at it, wanting to make sure I'd heard right. The sound of clawing came up again, only that it was followed by whining and a small bark this time.

I peeled Andrew off me gently before sitting up. Roxanne must want to be let outside. My gaze wandered to the ticking clock on the wall to find out it was about past six in the morning. I got up, pulling on a pair of joggers and wiggling myself into a loose shirt before combing my fingers through my hair and restraining it with a rubber band. I shoved my phone into my pocket after that, before heading to open the bedroom's door.

Roxanne pushed her way into the room when I unlocked it. She sniffed my bare feet before licking my toes. I chuckled, pulling my feet away from her. I watched her stretch out before giving a dog yawn.

"Do you want to go out, girl?" I asked, watching as she walked around in a circle before barking. I took that as a yes, leading her to the front door. I slipped my feet into a pair of flip-flops before writing a hasty note stating that I was stepping out with Roxanne. I opened the front door afterward, letting her walk out first.

I took in a breath of air as Roxanne ran out towards the nearby flower bed. I looked out into the compound, taking in a breath of fresh air before heading down the stairs. The chickens were already active, moving about and clucking in their usual manner. I walked into the small shed that housed the chickens, taking the plain red dog leash from where it hung on the wall.

I met Roxanne outside by the shed's entrance when I walked out. She jumped on me playfully before running out into the compound.

"Are you up for a walk?" I asked when she ran back towards me, probably confused at the fact that I hadn't attempted to chase after her.

She sat down with her tongue hanging before barking in what I took as agreement. I squatted, attaching her leash to her simple collar. I got up, tugging at the rope to instruct her to follow.

We walked up my favorite path, reaching the empty summer home I used to smoke behind during my early months here.

I stopped in my tracks abruptly, making Roxanne do the same. I guided her towards the summer house as she moved as far as her leash could let her excitedly. It's been a while since I've been there.