3

"No, no, absolutely not." I said to my father while placing my hands on my hips. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair while turning away from me.

"I told you that you weren't going to like it." He said with a bitter chuckle.

Like it? I hated the idea.

"Dad, I really don't think is necessary. I know our situation isn't ideal at the moment but I'm fine working right now, and it's absolutely okay that I'm not in university. I'm only twenty, I still have plenty of time. It's fine."

"No it isn't Lily." He huffed and placed his hands on the counter. "The fact is that we're struggling right now, and we need some help. We need some money. As a father it's my job to provide for my children and I can't do that right now, so I needed to get creative. It's better for you, better for your brothers, better for us as a family."

I scoffed. "You really think that sharing our house with a bunch of strangers is the best option for our family?"

"It's one of the only choices I have right now." He said. "Plus it makes the most sense. This house has always been too big for just the four of us, you all know that. We hardly ever use the basement, so why not rent it out?"

I pursed my lips while trying to come up with some type of argument or witty reply but I couldn't think of any. Dad was right, our house was huge. With eight bedrooms and six bathrooms in total it was one of the biggest houses in town. It wasn't because we were rich or anything, it was actually left for my dad in his uncle's will when he passed away a few years ago.

"I just don't like the idea of having strangers in our house, dad. What if they're really weird? Or worse, what if they're psycho serial killers? Remember what happened to Mrs. Goldfield when she-"

"Our situation is nothing like Mrs. Goldfield's, I'm not going to let just anyone live with us." He said. "I was talking to your Aunt Marlene last week and she mentioned that her boss was actually looking for a place to stay for a little while. His house burnt down a few days ago and him and his family have been staying hotels ever since. She talked to them about it and they said that they would be more than happy to rent from us, just until their house is reconstructed enough to go back to it. They're a very well known family from Addenbrough, a lot of people seem to trust them, especially your aunt, and you know that she doesn't trust just anyone.  You won't even see them that much if they stay here, they'll all be in the basement except for when they need to use the kitchen or laundry room, plus you're out most of the time so I don't see any issue there."

I chewed on my bottom lip and let out a sigh. "I just don't know if-"

"They're also going to pay us five thousand dollars every month." My dad said while cutting me off. My eyes became the size of saucers and my mouth fell open in shock. Five thousand dollars was a lot of money, and could really help us out right now.

I took a deep breath and pondered the idea some more. I mean, when I really thought about it, I guess it wasn't such a terrible plan, it was certainly better than my idea to have a garage sale last month. My brothers and I ended up only making thirty three dollars and seven cents, all of which was spent two days later on a field trip for my youngest brother. This family would only be here for a little while, plus we would end up making more money than I would by working half the year at the library. I had to put my emotions and opinions aside and think about this situation logically, and logically this was our best option.

"And you're sure that these people are not crazy killers?" I asked my dad

"I promise that they're not. Trust me Lily, everything will be fine."

"Alright, alright, I guess I approve." I groaned out.

A wide grin spread across my dad's face as he engulfed me in a hug. "That's great!" He beamed. "This will all be great, everything will work out perfectly."

I could only hope that it did

It was just at that moment that my brothers decided to make an appearance. My youngest brother, Brent, was struggling to help pull my oldest brother, Darren, through the doorway. Darren was obviously a little (or very) tipsy, his body swaying from side to side and leaning on Brent like his life depended on it. I rushed over to help Brent out, worried that Darren's muscular frame would crush Brent's slim one. 

"Where have you two been?!" I hissed at Brent. Brent lifted his hands up in surrender, effectively making Darren lose his balance and face plant onto the floor.

"I went to a party!" Brent screamed out, making Darren cringe on the floor.

"Yo-you ratted me out." Darren slurred. "I'm gonna kill you, you little weasel." And just like that Darren latched his arms around Brent's ankles, pulling him to the floor as well. A pathetic slap-fight followed, and I quickly broke it up.

"Get up!" Dad yelled at both of them. They both quickly scrambled upwards, a sliver of fear in their eyes. "Now where the hell were you two anyways?" 

"Well you see, Sam's parent's left early for a trip to-"

"You were at Sam's house?!" I screeched. "You took Brent to Sam's house?"

Samuel Lincoln was anything but good news. He was a spoiled rich kid who didn't care about anything but partying. With his parents working night shifts and an unlimited supply of booze from his fathers in home bar, his place was the prime location for partying. His main goal in life was to make sure his parties would be remembered no matter how crazy things got, and things got crazy. I had always known that Darren went to Sam's parties, it was a given since he was on the football team as well, but to bring Brent, poor sweet innocent little Brent into a house like that? I was furious.

"Chill!" Darren yelled. "We didn't even stay long, the cops showed up about twenty minutes in, Brent was only there so he could drive me home."

"You let the fifteen year old who only has his learner's permit drive you- who is only seventeen and intoxicated- home? At two in the morning? Do you know how illegal that is?"

"I-" 

"Cut it out you guys." Dad's stern voice piped up. "It's too late for me to deal with this, so we'll pick up where we left off tomorrow. Everyone just go to bed, I think i'll stay down here on the couch tonight." 

I let out a frustrated sigh but bit my tongue. I was tired too and would rather be sleeping than arguing right now. We all said goodnight to dad and made our way upstairs to our rooms, Brent and I helping Darren into his bed. 

"Sorry." He grumbled out as soon as Brent was out of the room. I rolled my eyes at him and helped him take off his shoes. 

"Trust me, you're going to be sorrier tomorrow when dad grounds you for life."

My words were unheard though as Darren was already sound asleep. I sighed and went to my room and got ready to bed. 

Hopefully tomorrow would be better.

But deep down I had a feeling that it wouldn't.

After MidnightOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara