viii

"So tonight... My place?" Marcus grazed his nose against mine and pecked my lips. I smiled, but didn't respond. We got back together about a week or so ago, and he wouldn't leave my side. He pulled me onto his lap and covered my face with kisses. I giggled, but pushed him away. "Don't bail on me, babe." He stroked my cheek. I heard a door shut and looked past Marcus. Mr. Horan walked past us, not giving me a single glance. I quickly detached myself from Marcus, to his surprise. 

"I'm sorry, I have class."

"Any volunteer to solve for the limit as X approaches three?"

I sunk in my chair and pretended to be taking notes in my notebook. I was in the far right corner in the back, hoping he wouldn't think about me. 

"Miss Foster, come up." Mr. Horan sat down behind his desk, fixing his pink and silver silk tie. I had two tests to study for today and didn't get any sleep. I had no time to study for math. I sighed and walked up to him in defeat. I approached him at his desk.

"Mr. Horan I don't-" I whispered, but he cut me off. 

"Please answer the question." He said out loud, pointing to the board. He wanted to embarrass me, I could tell by the look on his face. I felt a knot in my stomach as I moved closer to the board and felt all forty four eyes follow me. The sooner I do this, the less embarrassing it will be for me. I took a deep breath. 

"I'm sorry, I don't know." I whispered, staring down at my feet. Mr. Horan left his chair, his body facing me. 

"You don't know?" My eyes widened at the volume of his voice. Why was he shouting? "What about this entire week I dedicated to this lesson? What about the homework I gave you? Did you not do it?" I felt myself begin to shake. "When I address you, Miss Foster, I expect an answer!" I looked up and suddenly realised how close he was to me. His face was red... He looked furious. 

"I'm sorry..." 

"Get your shit and get out!" 

"So how are things with you and Marcus?" Juliet inquired as we walked to the parking lot. I gave her a small smile.

"They're good." 

"V..." She raised an eyebrow disbelievingly, and gently grabbed my arm for me to stop. "Tell me the truth. Why did you get back together?" I sighed, and sat down on a nearby bench. 

"He wanted a second chance, so I gave it to him."

"Are you happy?" 

"Yes." 

She stared at me intently, but didn't ask another question. I knew she didn't believe me, but frankly, I didn't care. 

"Vivian, can I have a word?" Staring down at me all the way up from her Marc Jacobs stilettos was none other than Payton. Juliet said goodbye and Payton sat in her place. Her hair was up in a neat ponytail and her makeup was quite subtle except for her bright red lips. "How did it go with sexy math teacher?" From her flat tone I assumed she knew nothing happened, so I decided to tell her the truth. 

"It didn't. I'm so sorry... I just couldn't do it." She was silent for a brief moment. 

"I know. You're a virgin, right?" She placed her Ivory Balanciaga purse between us. I didn't answer her, since she must have found it in my blush that I was. "I'll tell you what... You can still make it."

"Really?!" I sat up attentively, ready to take on anything. Her malicious grin gave me a fair warning that had me regret my sudden eager. 

"Make Niall Horan fall in love with you."

Knock knock knock. 

I waited in dreadful silence behind the door I was so eager to leave weeks ago. I could still trace my Chanel N. 5 perfume in the hallway. Or was that just my imagination? I couldn't wait a second longer, and I knocked again just as the door opened leaving my wrist hung in the air. I had texted Marcus I wouldn't be able to make it to his place tonight, turned my phone off so he wouldn't disturb me. As his piercing blue eyes stared back at me, I wondered how in the hell I ended up here. I wasn't planning on taking that stupid deal. There was no way he'd ever love me anyway. The man is filled with hatred and acidity in my regard. I felt so stupid, you see. I was standing there with nothing to say because I had no purpose in coming here in the first place!

"May I ask what you are doing here?" He finally asked, and I noticed the glass of scotch in his hand. His hair was disheveled and it was only now that I noticed the growing scruff hugging his jaw and neck. 

"I - I can't believe what you did to me today. Move away now." He stepped aside and I strutted in. I sat down on his leather sofa and he closed the door behind me. He approached with his hand tugging at his hair. He seemed worn out. 

"This can't possibly be the reason you came all the way here." He sat down a few feet away from me and started swirling his scotch around. 

"I said we should go back to normal, but this wasn't it. That was downright bullying!"

"Well guess what, princess? Take what you get! This is the best I can do and if you don't like it, too bad!" He slammed his glass on the coffee table and leaned back into the couch.

"Are you upset because you saw me with Marcus?" It was only when his ice cold glare met my eyes that I regretted the words that flew out of my mouth. 

"What did you just say to me?"

"N-nothing I-"

"He means as little to me as he does to you." He spat. 

"What are you talking about?" He finished his glass and moved next to me. The mix of his cologne and alcohol from his breath invaded my senses. 

"You should be with him right this moment, but you're not. You came here, and found a ridiculous excuse to convince yourself it wasn't an instinct." His tone gradually faded into a whisper as he inched closer to my face. "You're so oblivious to your own desires, Vivian. You don't want him... 

You want me."