iv

"Another F," I groaned. "Bye bye, Columbia..."

"What do you mean?" Juliet grasped my Derivatives Test quiz from me. 

"It's been two weeks, and I haven't gotten anything higher than a C-. If this continues I'm going to the dean." I stood up and flung my new black croc YSL handbag over my shoulder and left class with Juliet. This asshole of a Horan gave me a ton of extra work during detentions, kicking me out of his class whenever I wanted a word privately and keeps giving me those shit grades for no good reason! 

"Am I sensing a scheme?" She raised one eyebrow, a sick grin spreading across her lips. 

"N-no. I don't know. It's just so weird with him." 

After class Juliet and I went shopping to blow off some of my steam. I amassed quite a lot of items in Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada and Christian Louboutin. I wasn't feeling that much better, though. We were just about to exit Chloe when a group of girls walked into the shop. They all wore the same matching blouse, skirt, white stockings and Vivier heels, except for one. She stood before them all, wearing a blouser dress with high angular shoulder pads. She obviously wore nothing underneath as the outfit revealed quite a lot of skin from her neck to her cleavage. Her chestnut hair was up in a neat bun. She wore discreet eye makeup, but a bright bold red lip. She was sexy, but not trashy. Her head high, she looked straight at me, with a cocky glint in her eyes. 

"Vivian Foster," she said in a calm but strict voice. I turned to Juliet, my hand covering my mouth. 

"Oh God, it's Peyton Michaels!" I shrieked, trying to keep my voice down. Juliet nearly screamed, and held my hands tightly.

"They're Columbia students, what could they want from you?" She finally found her sanity to ask. 

"I have no idea. I've been dreaming of joining their society." I held my hand out, spelling out the words in the air as I said them: "Vivian Foster, Elite Rouge member." 

"Must I wait here any longer?" I heard Peyton say impatiently. I quickly walked away from Juliet after her wishing me good luck and approached Peyton. "I've been watching you closely, V. We don't normally do this, but someone of such high standing would be a perfect addition to my secret society." I mentally punched my stomach repeatedly to stop myself from going insane. A  multitude of joy overwhelmed me, finally allowing me to let go of all this Mr. Horan drama that's been following me around for those past few weeks. She held a red card with gold engravings from the tip of her perfectly manicured hands. Before I could take a peek and see if my name was on it, she pulled it away. Her smirk intensified. "If it were that easy, V..." She whispered in my ear. 

"What... What do you want me to do?" I inquired, feeling the anxiety rush through my veins. She slipped her slim arm under mine, and led me away from the girls. 

"I see you have a troubled relationship with your Math teacher, isn't that right?" The mention of him made my stomach turn. What could she possible know and want from me? 

"How do you know about that?"

"Like I said, I've been watching you closely." She smiled. "We reward loyalty and courage above anything else in the Elite Rouge. Student-Teacher relationships might be against school rules in college, but they are illegal as long as you're a minor. I have my own opinion on what's really going on between you two, and it would be great pleasure to see if you have what it takes to complete this one single task." She tapped her fingernails against the card. 

"What does this task consist of...?" I asked, gulping. She giggled, revealing her perfect white teeth.

"Apparently, Mr. Horan likes to decompress every Friday night at the Irish bar down the street. He can be a heavy drinker. I suggest you join him in that activity, and, perhaps, give him something sweeter to  end his week with." 

"What in the hell did she ask you to do for you to be so paranoid?" Juliet followed me away from the shops. 

"Nothing, just a stupid prank." I said. I reached for my cellphone inside my bag to check the time. My hands were shaking and the sweat almost caused my phone to slip. 

"Vivian!" Juliet shouted, grabbing my arm. I broke from her hold.

"I gotta go. I'll call you later." I called out a taxi who parked next to me.

"Are you going to do it?" She shouted behind me. 

"I don't know..." I replied, and got in the cab.