Chapter 4

Jay's POV:

"Hey Hank" Erin says as we walk up to the bullpen. I'm dreading this. I don't want to talk about it. I've seen too many people lose their jobs over PTSD. I don't want to lose the job that made me find Erin, or the job that I've made many friends from, or the job that helped me get over the last time I came home from a tour.

"Hey guys. Jay, I understand you've had some issues?"

"I wouldn't call them that but I guess, yeah."

"Sit."

We sit down and he sits down as well. He has that look in his eye, that look where he knows something is wrong but doesn't know how to fix it. Yeah, we've seen that look before.

"I guess we'll start with how you do with a gun. I'll take you to the shooting range and start from there. I'm gonna do what I can."

"Thank you, Sarg. Can we talk privately?"

"Um, I guess so."

Erin looks confused but she gets up and exits Voight's office. I've been nervous and this probably isn't the best time to do this but I have to ask when I get the chance.

"What is it?"

"Um. I, uh, wanted to ask you something. I know this isn't the best timing but, I'd like your permission to marry Erin."

"If I say yes, will you promise to get through this? For her?"

"Y-yes sir."

He nods and signals for me to leave. I struggled to say yes because I don't know if I can do this. I want to, for Erin. But it just seems so hard. How the hell do you get rid of constant nightmares, flashbacks, and memories? I just, I can't get it through my head.

Later that night, 3:29am
Erin's POV:

I wake up to the loss of breath. I open my eyes and feel hands around my neck. I push whoever it is off, grabbing and scratching them. I turn the lamp on and finally see who it is.
Oh . My . God.