Chapter 4- Speak Friend and Enter

Start from the beginning

Frustrated, Gandalf pushed his weight against the door, trying desperately to open Durin's Door. "I once knew all the spells in the tongues of Elves," he grumbled, "Of men and orcs..." his voice drifted off.

"What are you going to do then?" Pippin asked.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrine Took!" he yelled. "And if that doesn't work, at least I will be released from more of your foolish questions!" he sighed apologetically. "I am trying to find the opening words," he said softly.

Eventually, the rest of us took a seat next to walls as Gandalf rambled through more of his spells. I didn't doubt Mithrandir, but after his thirty-eighth spell, I was beginning to question him.

"The Mines are no place for a pony," Aragorn told Sam, taking the satchels from the Pony's saddle. "Even a brave one, such as Bill."

Sam stroked Bills nose one last time and murmured, "Bye, bye, Bill."

"Go on, Bill," Aragorn patted the pony. "Go on." The two watched remorse as the pony cantered out of view and into the moonlight. "Don't worry, Sam," Aragorn comforted the Hobbit. "He knows his way home."

Sam frowned and I believe I saw a tear stream quietly down his face.

Suddenly there was a splash and my attention shifted to the corner of the path where Merry and Pippin stood, tossing small rocks into the lake. Their attention was on a small floating branch near the center of the lagoon. Pippin leaned down and picked up a stone and pulled back his arm, ready to throw before Aragorn reached forward and grabbed his arm. "Do not disturb the water," he warned.

"Oh it's useless," Gandalf muttered, throwing his staff down and sauntering away from the door. He took a seat beside Frodo and removed his hat, distraught that he couldn't open the Door.

Meanwhile, Boromir and Aragorn seemed entranced by the lake, and the ripples beneath the surface. "What is it?" I whispered.

"I'm not sure," my brother confessed.

"It's a riddle 'Speak friend and enter'," Frodo said pointedly. "What's the Elvish word for 'friend'?" he asked, studying the door.

"Mellon," Gandalf muttered, standing before the Door. To our relief, the door swung open and the tension melted away.

"If he needed to know Elvish, he could've just asked us," I winked at Legolas and he smiled.

We all entered the mines and I swear I heard a disturbance in the water. My heart was racing but I kept it to myself; I hated going underground. I stepped nervously into the Mines of Moria- a dank, dark cavern with no light, a shapeless void.

"Soon Master Elf and dear Maiden," Gimli said, embracing the realm of his people. "You will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the dwarves; roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone. This is the home of my cousin Balin, and they call it a Mine!" he chuckled. "A Mine!"

I heard Gandalf attach the crystal to his staff and mutter something softly as a bright light illuminated the cave. Suddenly I recoiled in horror; there was an over-abundance of skeletons littering the ground.

"This isn't a Mine!" Boromir exclaimed. "It's tomb!"

"No!" objected Gimli. "No! No! No!"

Legolas squatted down beside the bodies and pulled an arrow from the chest of one of the corpses; "Goblins!" he hissed, drawing an arrow of his own and notching it to his bow. Aragorn, Boromir and I followed the suit, drawing our weapons and preparing for the unseen attack.

"We make for the gap of Rohan!" Boromir said.

"Everyone out!" Aragorn ordered.

"We should never have come here!" I shouted.