Chapter Thirty-Six: Little Things.

And all those conversations are the secrets that I keep, though it makes no sense to me.

*****

March 24, 2015

"Did you fly here or something? I called you like four minutes ago."

Jasper pushes himself off of the wall when he sees me coming, eyeing me from head to toe as I rush my way to where he is.

Even if I did seem to have broken some kind of record, I still feel like I couldn't get here fast enough; and if the cab ride had lasted just a few more minutes, my fingers would have turned into a bunch of disgustingly bloody stumps.

"Is she okay?" I ask the second I am close enough to be heard without shouting. "What happened?"

I know I sound desperate but I don't really care. The thought of her being hurt and all alone in a hospital room scares me more than anything else.

"Why don't we get inside, man?" He gently suggests, grabbing me by the shoulder and taking a sly look over his. "There are a lot of curious eyes here and is not like you're just one of the bunch."

I take a deep breath and I nod, letting him handle me and lead me into the building and through a few hallways.

"What's going on Jasper?" I ask once he stops abruptly right before we turn around yet another corner. "Where is she?"

His hand remains on my shoulder, and this time he tightens his grip. The way he looks at me lets me know that what he is about to tell me is not good at all.

"We were in class, working on this stupid move we do all the time..." He sounds so confused, so in disbelief, like he just can't understand what went wrong. "I don't know what happened, Harry. All I know is that one minute she was dancing and nailing it and the next... she was on the floor, screaming."

His face twitches into a grimace of utter pain, like he is reliving the whole thing in his head and maybe even feeling the physical pain she endured. And my heart does the same.

"What did the doctors say?" I ask, and he shakes his head, coming back to our conversation.

"Nothing yet." He responds, and I frown. "They gave her something for the pain and we're just waiting for them to come back and do some tests. It's chaos in here so it might take a while."

He keeps talking and I try my best to listen. But all I can think about is walking through that door and see her.

"But... She texted Olivia a few hours ago. She said it was nothing. I don't get it."

Jasper looks at me with a frown on his face. And it is not a frown of puzzlement, but more like he is holding something back.

"Yeah... That was me." He confesses, rubbing his hands against his shaved head. "She kept texting to Lea's phone asking where she was and I just needed to get her off my back."

"Okay. Why didn't you call me sooner, though?" I ask, never thinking twice about what he just said. Whatever reason he had to do that to Olivia, I get the feeling it was something personal and I couldn't care any less at the moment.

"Look, Harry... I know I should have called you the minute it all went down, but I had my mind elsewhere." He shrugs apologetically, and then sighs. "And is not like I can't forget what happened last night, man. Whatever it was, I just don't like it."

I consider talking back; but I eventually decide that I don't really want to argue with him on that one.

"Fair enough." I accept his answer. "I'm sorry about that, by the way. I hope you know that is not who I am and I'd never do anything that would put her in harm's way."