Chapter Seven: ~New Romantics~

We're so young but we're on the road to ruin.

*****

"Is there something you'd like to share with me, Lea?" Veronica pulls out a chair for me to seat on, and I oblige rather reluctantly.

I keep asking myself what is the real reason why I am trying so hard at pretending that we don't know each other.

I mean, after all, it is not like it's a bad thing or unethical. Maybe I was doing it to protect myself in case he wouldn't know who I am, but as I realized a few minutes ago, when he clearly jumped in to rescue me from my discomfort, that's clearly not the case.

And knowing him from before is not something that would actually make me unfit to do the job I'm being asked to do.

If anything, unless I prove myself, and my boss to be unprofessional about it, the whole matter is absolutely lacking of relevance.

So I decide to speak the truth. Well, not the whole truth, of course; just the one thing that truly concerns her.

"Is nothing, really." I begin, rubbing my sweaty palms against my thighs. "It's just that I know him... Harry, I mean... from back home. But he doesn't even know me, so..."

Even though I know that last sentence is a lie, I can't help but notice this slight feeling of pain inside of me. Well, not really pain, but some sort of heaviness on my chest.

She observes me quietly, with her mouth covered by her intertwined hands, right in front of it. She's clearly mulling over my words, trying to read whatever it is between them. Hopefully, she comes out empty handed.

"Aha, well... I don't really see the problem with that." She finally says, leaning against the back of her reclining chair, "Do you?"

Do I see the problem with working close to him for the next four weeks? Being at his disposal around the clock, having to be ready to comply with his, and the rest of the band's every petition?

Well, to be quite honest, and aside from the fact that Harry made a rather flagrant move at my co-worker and that Niall had no problem with throwing my sorry ass into a meat grinder in front of  everybody, they've all proven to be just like Veronica described them to me this morning.

They were really polite and they kept listening attentively to every word that was said throughout the meeting –aside for Harry, who wouldn't stop staring at me, noticeably diving inside his own head –, nodding along and smiling at me sheepishly when reminded that I was not a maid nor an errand girl.

Whatever the hotel can provide, she's the one you turn to. Nothing more, nothing less.

The man named Randall said to them when Veronica finished explaining my role in all of this. And they all automatically said they got it almost in unison.

And I say almost because Harry remained silent until the whole we don't know each other thing.

"I don't see the problem with that, either." I agree with my boss so we can move the subject along and finally get to the real reason why I decided to take this job in the first place: The paycheck.

"Alright, but the minute it becomes one, you have to let me know. I guess it goes without saying that the non-fraternization policy applies to clients as well, so you are not allowed to engage in any sort of personal relationship with any of them." She informs me solemnly. "Let's just keep it professional, Lea, and it will be over before we know it."

*****

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the number that my boss just offered me. Doing a vague calculation in my head, as I walk out of her office, I realize that I am going to be able to forget about rent for at least a couple of months and even have some good change left to save up money for the plane ticket to England, if I want to visit my parents by the next spring break.