Chapter Nine: ~We're Going To Be Friends~

Tonight I'll dream while I'm in bed, when silly thoughts go through my head.

*****

"... Please, say yes."

How do I say no to that face? You don't even have to have a crush on this man to find yourself melting before that smile. Hell! You only need to have blood running through your veins and you are set to fall.

And I have already spent all of my will power fighting against his charm throughout this entire conversation.

He still has my hand in his grip, and all I can't think about is how sweaty my palm is getting inside of his.

But he won't let go until he has an answer to his question.

Friends. Is that even a possibility for me? I guess that would also qualify as a personal relationship, but I don't really see him accepting anything other than a yes.

And I would be lying to myself if I say that there's not a big part of me that wants to say just that.

I suppose that, in all those years I was infatuated with him and I would dream about different situations in which he would finally notice and eventually fall madly in love with me, I never even thought about ever becoming her friend.

Five years ago, I don't think I would have be able to handle that; but today, being a responsible young woman that acknowledges boundaries and has a very good sense of what is right an what is not, I really think that I could.

"Yes." I say with a voice so low, he has to lean closer to listen to it. "Okay, friends."

The second time I say it, it is more to convince myself that I made the right choice.

"Good answer!" He beams, widening the smile that has settled upon his face when he heard me the first time. "Now! When do we start this thing? Tonight? The lads and I are going out, if we can."

He turns his head, pointing at the doors, and I take that small moment of distraction to pull my hand away, retrieving it successfully.

"Don't push it, Harry." I say between nervous giggles when he looks back at me.

"Alright, alright!" The elevator makes its beeping noise right before the doors open up behind him. "You want to take it slow, I get it. What about tomorrow night, then?"

The smile on his lips never changes, and there's a light in those eyes of his that both warms me up and frightens me. And I'm beginning to regret this already.

Especially since I find myself actually considering saying yes to him.

He is stepping backwards inside the cabin, blocking the closing doors as he waits for me to answer.

"That still wouldn't be taking it slow, but I can't tomorrow, anyways." I say, remembering that I already have plans. Though I would have lied to him in case I didn't.

"Come on! What could be more important than to officially kick off this nee friendship?" He asks me, ever so winsome.

"A date." I respond way too quickly. "I have a date tomorrow night."

The doors close between us when his hand drops loosely at his side. The last thing I see before I am left alone in the empty lobby is his smile shrinking away.

*****

The first thing that I do once I'm out the door and far enough to leave behind the small crowd that's still lingering on the sidewalk, is looking for my phone and give my mother a call.