XVII - Starting Over

Start from the beginning

Instead, Melissa was also someone that Juno felt that she could immediately open up to.

 She was a blonde woman in her mid-to-late-40s who dressed more like an eccentric artist than any sort of case worker Juno could have imagined. While she was initially hesitant to be left alone with the older woman, Imogen assured that it would be okay. That she would be done at the end of the meeting. It was important for Juno to be able to get through this on her own. In order for Melissa to be able to support her long term, they would have to build that connection now. 

"So, you're going to start off living in the dorms. Y'know, to have a chance to spend time with people your own age," Melissa explains. The two of them are in Melissa's office, her bright decor bringing so much personality to an otherwise drab space. She turned away from Juno long enough to pull something up on the desktop computer. The older woman glances at Juno for a moment, noticing the concern on her face. "Oh, don't worry everyone in the dorms are nice,"

"If you say so," Juno mumbles, not sure what to say but doesn't have it in her to be silent. She enjoyed Melissa so far. Which was good because she was not sure how long she would have this working relationship with her.

"Oh, that's what I thought," Melissa says, squinting at the computer screen for a moment before swiveling the screen around. The page has headshots of two girls that look around Juno's age, and further down the page is one of those three-dimensional apartment layouts. "You were already assigned a room. As you can see, the dorms are four-person setups with your own bedroom and bathroom, you're essentially just sharing a living space with the other occupants. Your roommates will be Rosie and Anna, and I know they're both super nice and welcoming. I met with them the other day to let them know you would be arriving."

"Are you sure?" Juno is apprehensive, and she knows better than to judge these two girls based entirely on their pictures. Anna looked like one of those blondes who would be a stereotypical bully, the type with the face of an angel and the personality of the devil. Rosalie on the other hand, has dark hair, prominent cheekbones, and a smile that says 'I know your darkest secret.'

"Of course, sweetheart. They're both seniors at Northside, and very active in extracurriculars. Rosie even volunteers with the local pack youth," Melissa rambled, not quite getting what Juno was asking. Sure these girls can do impressive stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are nice people.

Juno didn't press further.

The conversation continued, and the two of them had a whole lot to cover. Doctors appointments, dentist appointments, and a whole array of other appointments. All in order to make sure that Juno's transition to the Kingston Association was smooth. That she was able to catch up on a lifetime of neglect and be in the best possible shape. While Luna Elizabeth had done as much as she could to ensure the bare minimum for Juno, there was a whole lot that she just did not have the resources for. Melissa explained that she would be working in tandem with Imogen to ensure that all of these appointments happened smoothly and effectively. 

"Now, of course, you do have the option to either attend Northside or finish your schooling online or another homeschooling option. It can be quite overwhelming to start a new school if you only have one semester left. But it is up to you." Melissa explains. Juno immediately knew what she wanted. She could not picture herself in another school, surrounded by so many of her peers. Melissa had described the local high school, Northside, as mostly a mix between the Kingston students and the local shifter wolf population.

"I think a homeschooling option," Juno says, almost too soon after Melissa proposed the idea, and it was clear how eager she was to not spend time with the other young wolves. To be fair, Juno had just left a community where a lot of the abuse she had suffered had come from people her own age. Her peers had always been the cruelest.

"Of course, Sweetheart," Melissa repeated, and it was clear to Juno that was just one of her phrases, the type meant to put people at ease, "We don't have to decide exactly what is best for you immediately. The spring semester doesn't start until January after all, but it is good to know your preferences,"

There was so much for the two of them to discuss, Juno had been in her office for multiple hours. She didn't see the conversation ending any time soon. The information was a lot to take in, and Juno knows she has already forgotten some of the pieces. Melissa could see that she was wearing the poor girl out, so she ended with one more piece of information.

"I'm not sure if anyone has explained it to you, but Kingston does offer the ability to legally change your name. It was a tradition in the early days to adopt the name Kingston, but now you are welcome to choose anything you would like first and last name. You do not have to take this offer if you don't want to. But consider it and if you ever decide that you do want the change, let me know. There is no expiration date on the offer. "

~~

1579 words. Published 06.12.2023. Edited 12.23.2023