Outcast

*Alex’s POV*

I sighed as the alarm went off. The sound of the other girls grumbling and stumbling out of bed around me might as well have been bombshells to me. I grabbed the slightly lumpy pillow and held it over my head, and rolled over, wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep.

“All of you girls better be awake and getting ready for school!” Madame Lestrange barked from the hallway.

Even her voice was sharp and demanding! Not wanting to get on her bad side, I slowly rolled onto my back and looked up at the dirty ceiling. Dreading the day ahead of me, I just laid there wishing everything would just go away.

Knowing I couldn’t avoid it anymore, I rolled to the edge of the bed and stood up. I quickly made the bed. I made sure the fading sheets were securely on the bed, and I neatly pulled on the threadbare quilt that was full of holes, making sure it was tucked into the sides of the mattress.

Once I was done I knelt down at the shabby cedar chest that stood at the foot of my small bed like a guard dog, identical to the other 16 in the room. This was definitely not the place if you wanted to make the space your own. You get what you get, and you’re grateful for it.

I opened the chest and looked down. It held 2 torn up T-shirts, 2 pairs of well worn jeans with holes in the knees, and  a dog-eared copy of Lord of the Rings that my English teacher had given me when they learned of my love of reading.

I looked down at these, and to everyone else they may seem like junk. But to me they were precious, they were treasures. They were all I owned in this world, so they kind of have to be.

I grabbed one of the T-shirts and a pair of jeans, and grabbed the towel, toiletries, and such that had been left out on my nightstand.

I rubbed my eyes as I walked through the now empty room toward the bathroom. As I entered the huge bathroom I found all of the other girls in a tight group of 16 near the sinks.

They were all leaned toward each other like they were best friends. I smiled slightly at the sight. Well before I got closer anyway.

As I walked closer I saw that they were all whispering and giggling. I was curious and walked a little closer so I could hear what they were saying.

Once I was within hearing distance, I heard my name.

“I heard Alex was abused!” A small girl with frizzy red hair confided, with an expression like she had just said the funniest thing ever.

“Yeah and I heard that the reason nobody ever wanted to adopt her was because she was so ugly and  fat!” Another girl with short brown hair added on, not wanting to be outdone.

“She’s so weird too! And everyone wonders why she hasn’t been adopted yet! She’s the oldest here! Besides, nobody could ever love a weird, ugly 12 year old.” A girl with glasses and mousy light brown hair added with a snarl.