Chapter 11-Regrets

Skipping the disclaimer and jumping straight into the story. :D

Hitomi's POV

The wind was quite fierce. It tore at my skin and howled in my ears.

That was a bad decision. I shouldn't have snapped at him.

I shouldn't have left.

But now that I've done it, I can't go back.

I gritted my teeth.

How could I have been so stupid?

Besides, if they wanted me back, they would've gotten me themselves.

I probably won't even be welcome back.

Then what?

I couldn't go back to Suna.

And now that the Chunin Exams were over, I couldn't go back to Konoha, either.

I sighed.

I'd just have to hope for the best.

...

I clenched my fists until my knuckles turned white. It was hopeless. I didn't know which hideout everyone was in, and word must've spread about my escape and attempt to hurt Gaara.

Salty, bitter tears rolled down my pale face as I sat down, burying my face in my arms. I'd have to figure something out, and quick. There was a chance I could die if I kept wandering aimlessly.

...

A shaking hand pushed away the leaves that blocked my vision. It was a village gate. But which one? It was dark, and I couldn't see the label. This has to be my most reckless idea yet. Fearlessly, I stepped through the Village's vacant gates and silently prayed I wouldn't be killed on the spot.

I could barely see anything in the Village. Then I realized, it was pouring quite violently. How did I not notice earlier? I shivered in the cold, rubbing at my arms quickly in a desperate attempt at generating heat.

I blinked raindrops out of my eyes, and started rubbing at them furiously. I never liked storms. Light drizzles were much more quiet and comforting.

I looked at the very threatening lightning overhead. Best to take some shelter, fast. But there was no where to go. Just then, a cloaked lady came up to me. I couldn't see much of her face, but I only saw her smile. It was an oddly familiar smile, and with it, brought nostalgic, yet fuzzy, memories. It bothered me not to know who I recognized it from.

"I see you are trying to find somewhere to stay, child." Even that voice was familiar. It was at the tip of my tongue. I knew this woman from somewhere. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Y-Yes, ma'am," I whispered politely. If this woman was a kunoichi, I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. "I don't suppose-" Her smile grew. "Follow me."

Seeing nothing bad possibly coming from following a strange lady I just met to take refuge in her home, I obediently scurried behind her.

...

I couldn't see where we were headed. The skies were dark and filled with thundering storm clouds. The rain had lightened only a little. As I was walking with the mysterious stranger, I heard hushed whispers from some of the villagers.

"Lady...Angel..." my sensitive ears caught. I strained to hear more of the villagers' words, but the strange lady had stopped. "We're here." I didn't see a thing. I didn't know what happened next, but suddenly, the raindrops disappeared, no longer beating on me.

Lady...Angel? Wait, I recognized that name...

"Hitomi-chan, welcome home."

...

I was seated on the familiar comfortable seats of the couch in the Akatsuki living room. I held a cup of tea to my lips, my fingers curled around the warm surface of the cup. I had gotten myself dried off, and was quietly drinking green tea in my old home.

It happened that Konan-sama was wandering in the Village at the right time to spot me. My transformation jutsu had long been worn off, and she recognized my odd eyes immediately. I looked at my wavering reflection in the tea. I looked a mess. I wonder if anyone else was home.

As if on cue, a familiar silver haired man strolled into the room, went into the kitchen, and suddenly backed out, looking at me.

"Hello, Hidan-san," I greeted, looking back down at my tea.

"Wh-Wha-Huh?" he spluttered. "I see how welcome I am," I said, a smile fighting to appear on my face.

"Kakuzu! Did you know the kid was back?"

"What?"

"I said, Kakuzu, did you fucking know the kid was back?"

Said man came into the room in less than five seconds, staring at me. "...What."

The other members came out of their rooms, hearing all the commotion. Hey, where was Tobi-

"Hitomi-chaaaaaan!"

Speak of the devil.

I gritted my teeth and waited for impact. The man-child pounced on me, overly happy to see me.

"You haven't changed at all."

"Thank you, Hi-chan!"

"Not a compliment."

He didn't seem to hear that, and continued hugging me. "Hey guys," I said, casually.

Everyone looked at me blankly.

...

"Love you guys too."