chapter three.

CHAPTER THREE —
( HYDRA. )

────────────────

────────────────

EVELYN, PEGGY AND STEVE
Brooklyn, New York City

        Evelyn, Steve and Peggy were all sitting in a car, on their way to the lab for Steve to get injected with the serum. Evelyn's leg kept bouncing the whole car ride due to being nervous, and not wanting Steve to end up like Schmidt. She looked out of the window at all of the children playing with each other, some of them oblivious to the raging war outside. 

"I know this neighbourhood," Steve pointed out, causing Evelyn to turn her attention to him. "I got beat up in that alley." He pointed out the window. "And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

Peggy frowned. "Did you have something against running away?"

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?" He said, causing Evelyn to smile.

"We know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face, and just because we're women," Evelyn shook her head.

"I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army if you were a beautiful dame. Or a...woman." Evelyn looked at him with a raised eyebrow, finding amusement in what he was saying. "An agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful, but..." He trailed off.

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy asked him as she turned around in her seat to look at him.

"I think this is the longest conversation I've had with one," he chuckled. "Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

"You must have danced?" Evelyn asked, knowing that their generation loved to dance.

"Well, asking a woman to dance always seemed so terrifying, and in the past few years, it just didn't seem to matter that much. I figured I'd wait," he explained.

"For what?" Evelyn asked.

"The right partner."

Evelyn smiled lightly at his answer, knowing he was one of a kind, then turned to look out of the window. The car slowed down and pulled up to a curve in front of an antique shop. They all stepped out and began walking to the door.

"This way," Peggy said.

"What are we doing here?" Steve asked.