Chapter Thirteen: Home again, home again.

Start from the beginning

"Holding the door for you?" he offered eventually, a little confused. "Are you getting out, or..?"

"No!" Darcie exclaimed, cutting him off and sliding unsteadily out of her seat and onto the pavement. "I mean...you...you don't have to walk me to the door or anything. I appreciate the lift and everything but I...yeah...you can go now..."

Darcie could feel herself turning red. She knew she was being nonsensical, something which often happened when she was uncomfortable, and Bash's proximity wasn't helping. Though she was pointedly avoiding his gaze, she could feel his eyes on her, calculating. After a pause he sighed and pushed the door shut behind her. As he did so, his forearm brushed Darcie's shoulder and she flinched in alarm, her chest throbbing painfully.

"C'mon!" Bash said again, disregarding Darcie's not-so-subtle hint to leave and turning away towards the gate. "Let's go."

Darcie started after him, bewildered and irritated, as he made his way up the garden path. She watched him pick his way gingerly through the weeds and rubbish: empty beer cans, fast food wrappers and miscellaneous items discarded by passers by, and flushed with embarrassment. 153 Heavitree Road was a far cry from the grand rooms of Nikolai's rural mansion.

 When Bash reached the front door, he turned away from it and scratched the back of his head, giving his Skyline a regretful once over. "I can't believe I have to park my car on the street!" he huffed sulkily, grimacing as a cyclist bombed past it, dangerously close. " If it gets scratched i'm holding you responsible!"

Darcie shuffled up beside him, her face still very red, and dug out her keys from her bag. It was a minor miracle they were still in there, she thought, and she sent up a silent thank you to high heaven. Loosing her keys would have been the shit cherry on top of a crappy birthday cake. 

"You'd better get going, then." she replied, jiggling the lock and nudging the front door open with her foot. "Thanks again for the lift. Bye..."

Her hands were sweaty and trembling slightly as she half tuned to shut the door in Bash's face. Her attempts were thwarted, however, and Bash shouldered his way effortlessly into the hall behind her. 

"You're welcome!"

He surveyed the dimly lit corridor, which was still strewn with the remnants of friday night's pre-drinks, and drew his mouth into a grim line. 

"You live like this?"

Darcie turned and glared up at him, her embarrassment rising still higher. 

"No!" she snapped, irritated. "It was my birthday party on friday. It's not like this all the time..."

"It's Sunday now. Don't your housemates clean!?"

Darcie bristled again.

"I expect they were busy. Besides, it's technically my mess. But of course, I couldn't clean it could I? I've been stuck with you all weekend!"

Bash folded his arms defensively and surveyed her from his great height. After a pause his lips twisted into an amused smile and he chuckled. Darcie felt a jerk behind her navel at the deep sound of his laugh and inwardly cursed him for being so attractive. The fact that she even acknowledged this irritated her even more; He was the exact opposite of any boy she'd previously been interested in. He looked like trouble, with his tattoos and shaven head, but his face was handsome, and the expression in his grey eyes made her heart quicken treacherously.

 Glowering up at him, she gestured towards the open front door.

"Please leave now."

Bash's smile faded again and he shook his head. Stepping closer to her, he shut the door behind him with barely a backwards glance.