Chapter Fourteen - Off to Camelot [Part Three]

Start from the beginning

"Not who she claims to be," Margarette told the serving girl.

"But you know, don't you? Both of you do," Gwendolyn says to them both.

Gaius sighs but answers her original question, "Kara. Though that's not her name-"

"-not her real name, anyway," Margarette finishes. Gwendolyn gets ready to ask another question but Margarette cuts her off before she can speak, "She is a powerful sorceress. Now stop with the questions, child."

"Let us tell Uther, he could send-" Gwendolyn starts but Margarette cuts her off once more.

"She's long gone, Gwendolyn," Margarette says, "Currently our only hope is Arthur."

"Oh, no," Gaius says.

"What?" Gwendolyn asks as both, Gaius' and Margarette's eyes fill with worry.

"She knows the only place an antidote can be found is the Forest of Baloch," Gaius says as he stands.

Margarette shook her head and let out a humorless laugh, "She wasn't after Merlin. She's after Arthur. Who is currently in a dangerous forest filled with cockatrice to get an antidote which can only be found there. Merlin is just collateral damage."

"Arthur," Merlin whispers, drawing the attention of everyone inside and outside of the diary's image, "Arthur. Ahh." He then starts incanting under his breath again as the trio surround his bed, "Arthur. It's a trap. It's a trap."

"His fever's getting worse, isn't it?" Gwendolyn asks Gaius.

"The poison's settling in," Gaius answered as Merlin went back to incanting, "Shhh," Gaius whispers as he presses the cloth to Merlin's forehead. He then looks up at Gwendolyn, "Could you fetch me more wolfsbane?"

"Yes, of course," Gwendolyn answers before she leaves the three magical beings alone.

"Merlin? You must fight it," Gaius tells the druid.

Margarette grabs Merlin's hand and grips it tight in worry, "Come on, Merlin. I didn't come all this way just to see you die."

After a couple minutes of the two sitting in silence, Merlin starts to whisper again, "Arthur. It's too dark. Too dark." Merlin starts speaking an incantation once more, but this time there's a result.

"Ow!" Margarette shouts as she pulls her hand away from her son's, only to see a ball of blue light sitting where her hand once was. She smiled brightly at the light, "I told him not bringing his wand wouldn't make a difference."

"What is he doing?" Gaius asks Margarette.

"He's protecting the prince," Margarette lets out a laugh, "Even when someone tries to save his life, and he ends up on the verge of death, he's still saving people."

"Leave them, Arthur," Merlin cuts in, "Go. Save yourself. Follow the light."

"Told you," Margarette whispered teasingly to Gaius.

"Faster," Merlin whispers, "Go faster! Follow the light! Move. Climb."

After a couple of minutes, Merlin's breathing calmed down and the light in his hand disappeared, "He did it. Arthur did it."

"He hasn't got much longer has Arthur gotten the flower?" Gaius asks Gwendolyn after the image slowed down again after being sped up.

"I don't know," Gwendolyn admits, "Uther won't allow anyone to see him."

"You are a serving girl, are you not?" Margarette asks, "Because if you are, shouldn't you be able to bring food to the prisoners?"

"That would be very dangerous," Gaius opposes.

"I've got to," Gwendolyn agrees, "Merlin will die if I don't."

"Then hurry child," Margarette tells her.

"Be careful," Gaius tells her before she leaves.

The image speeds up once more and the students in the Great Hall can see Gaius pacing and Margarette continuing to care over Merlin. Soon enough the image goes back to its normal speed and Gwendolyn rushes in the room.

"How is he?"

"Have you got the Mortaeus?" Margarette and Gaius as in unison.

"Here,' Gwendolyn says as she hands the flower to Gaius.

"His breathing is much worse. We have to hurry," Gaius says as he starts to make the antidote but suddenly stops.

"Why have you stopped?" Gwendolyn asks.

"The poison was created using magic. We made need magic to make an antidote," Gaius tells her and Margarette's eyes snap up to Gaius' in worry.