This can't be happening - Chapter 9

Somewhere in the back of my subconscious mind, I felt something strong and muscly scooping me into a warm, wet wall. I nuzzled closer, wanting to get as close as possible to this source of warmth. Suddenly, I felt it stiffen.

Walls don't stiffen, my brain screamed in an attempt to wake me up. They can't move, my sense of reason and logic argued on but my eyes were steadfastly shut as I basked in the cozy heat.

Soon, I felt myself being laid down gently on the grassy floor and darkness loomed over me as I realised that someone was standing over me.

"Errr...Varens. Wake up," a boyish voice said awkwardly, "ok, let me try this again. Erm...Cassandra. Cassy even. Yes, Cassy, please wake up."

At this I smiled but as I gently pried my heavy eyes open, I was shocked to see who my saviour was.

"Draco Malfoy!" I gasped as I got up as fast as I could, "What the hell?! My own sworn enemy saving me, this should make the heading of The Quibbler!" I said, mildly bemused.

"And this is how I get thanked," Malfoy muttered, before holding out a hand for me to get up.

"I'd never known you were such a gentleman," I scoffed as I took his hand, ignoring the warm tingly feeling, "But seriously, Cassy?! Not just first names but nicknames! Next, we'll all be living in a big happy family with seven children," I retorted drily.

"Who said anything about children, Cassy? I didn't know you were that desperate but to be honest, I'm just too irresistible." he said with his signature smirk.

Scowling as best as I could, I replied "I was joking. J-O-K-I-N-G. Besides, you ignored my question."

"Well, I, erm, that was the, er, only way to wake you up." Malfoy stuttered as he scratched the back of his head nervously.

"Someone looks like they've just failed Transfiguration, I didn't know I was capable of making a Pureblood Malfoy nervous!" I giggled incredulously, "But thank you, for rescuing me, I mean." I added softly.

"Well, if you stop drowning so dramatically, I wouldn't have to!" he replied indignantly.

"Well I'm sorry but there were Dementors after me!" I replied, looking away, hurt at his sudden outburst.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know." Malfoy now added, more gently.

"It's alright now, you know." I huffed sulkily, before murmuring "I would have died if you hadn't been there."

A long pause ensued when suddenly, a warm hand had entwined itself with my petite one, causing me to look at Malfoy in surprise.

"You're okay now, so don't worry." Malfoy reassured while I stared at him quizzically and mused, "I swear you're so bipolar sometimes."

He was about to let go of my fingers in annoyance but I held on.

Only because they were surprisingly warm, absolutely no other reason.

Silence stretched on between us before he looked towards me and said, "So what actually happened? You looked pretty triumphant on that hippy Griff when you took off, didn't you?"

"Hippogriff " I snapped trying to get my hand out of his grip but he was too strong. "Hippy Griff" he said coolly as he pulled me towards him.

"No," I enunciated as if I were explaining the alphabet to a baby before licking my lips (and not before catching his eyes dart down towards them), I said "Hippogri-"

All hopes of correcting his pronunciation were dashed as there was a sudden clash of hooves, feathers, human legs and a speck of white blonde hair.