Chapter 37: Snowflakes

En başından başla

Oh, what about me? I was laying back, giving out orders while cooking meals for the team. Can't fight a battle with an empty stomach. I was a very important asset. No, honest! Even if I did fight, I would only make them all scatter, so I decided to only move in when someone's life was in danger. You could call me their insurance.

Even though I essentially did nothing, they had no complaints because the meals I made brought them to tears every single time they ate it after a tiring ordeal of hunting monsters.

Well, that was the gist of what we did twice a week. Most of the time, Jun would make windows and glass items with the blacksmith's assistance and give them away to the villagers while directing renovations for the entire village. For free. Not that I have a problem with it, since we had money that could buy an entire country if I felt like it, maybe. But it still wouldn't hurt to be more frugal with it since we don't know if it could suddenly disappear someday..

Meanwhile every morning, I would take over and train Jin-kun then make breakfast. Okay, all the meals. Every time it was time to prepare the meals, Jun would forcibly switch me even if I was watching cute cats playing with balls on the internet, that lazy bum. Even now, he got hooked on an anime I recommended him and said to let me handle the hunting from now on.

"Oi, Orion-san! Everyone, good work out there today!"

Ah, a pleasantly plump uncle called out to us. Though he was wearing the winter clothes which was a fur jacket, fur pants, and boots made of [Snow Wind Demon] leather, he still appeared twice as big as a normal person. Though it would be rude if I said that out loud so I refrain from bringing down his impression of me..

If I remember correctly, this man was called Xant-san, and he was responsible for skinning, tanning, and dismantling the monster materials from all the game we caught. He kind of owns a butcher shop at the center of town so many people know him, including Jun who seemed to get along with him for some unknown reason.

For now, let's greet him so I can pass the beasts we hunted over to be dismantled. I wasn't going to get any compensation but I get my ingredients from his shop so it's fine..

"Ah, we just got back. I think there was about twenty to thirty [Demon Boars] today, along with some [Snow Sparrows], [Frigid Hawks], and a [Winter Bear] we accidentally woke up. I entrust them all to your shop so please distribute some of them to the villagers okay?"

"A-a [Winter Bear]!? You subjugated a B-class demonic beast?"

When he exclaimed after hearing my words, he hurriedly went to look at the back of the cart, filled with beast corpses and confirmed that what I said was nothing but the truth. He then went back towards us and said..

"Amazing, usually it takes an A-rank party of adventurers to kill a lone [Winter Bear]. Since before it dies, it would issue a death cry and call the other [Winter Bears] to its location, making it a dangerous quest to take. I'm just glad that none of you got hurt because those beasts usually get stronger in the winter season. Thank you for this, I'm sure the villagers would be glad to know that a demonic beast like this was killed."

"Haha, alright then, give my regards to your wife and kids! Let's go guys, leave the cart here.."

When I heard his spiel, I sweated unconsciously and could only wryly smile giving a half-hearted answer. The reason for this was that I just found out that what happened earlier wasn't my overwhelmingly negative luck stat coming into play after all. Maybe, just a bit though..

"Ah, will do! Thanks as always you guys!"

While waving towards the butcher with a large build, we walk towards the other's homes on the path to the chief's house. The villagers who knew me as the kind person who had healed their children and was a benefactor to all, for making them windows free of charge, were bowing towards me when I passed by their houses. It only made me embarrassed since I wasn't the one who helped them, but it was really Jun's idea. Also, I didn't like people revering me as a special person. By the way, they were wearing different sets of winter clothing tailor-made for them.