Chapter 7

When they finish their leaf pile fun, they take turns kicking the leaves into the air, so it looks like it's raining leaves. Then they hope on their bikes and lace up their blades and are off. Gliding through the park until they find their own place to start over again.

Except this time, they don't make it there. As Farkle's tire hits a rock, he's thrown over the handlebars, his bike falling to the ground with a clank and his body, torn by the pavement. Riley's the first there.

She doesn't glide, she runs. She breaks out into a sprint. She cries out a desperate, "Farkle!" and lets her own knees skin as she rushes to him. Her tights ripped and the paint on her once perfectly, pristine roller blades, scratched off. She lifts his head from the ground as he groans in pain.

Spotting the blood on his own forearms and legs, Riley's eyes widen. She watches as Maya's does too. But while Maya moves to pick up Farkle's bike, Riley moves to pick up Farkle.

He knows that she's strong. She's the girl who flies and crashes but always gets back up. But she's never been too great at sports, but in this moment, she picks up every ounce of strength she has and centers it into Farkle.

She pulls him up and wraps and arm around his waist, and he clings to her just as much as she clings to him.