lumina - superhero challenge no.1 @projectsuper

This is my one shot entry for the Superhero Challenge No.1.

+ write a scene in which the superhero character reveals their identity
+ write a scene in which the character saves someone's life
+ write a scene in which a character kisses a superhero

Enjoy!

She slips into the seat opposite him quietly, glancing at the deserted tables surrounding them. Her hands are wrapped around a polystyrene cup, and she takes a sip as she looks back at him. The air is cold. He wishes he had her coffee, especially as she's already got the beanie and puffa jacket to keep her warm. It's not really his fault she came prepared, although he didn't think she'd pick a rooftop café for this... whatever this is.

"Hi," he says quietly, not really sure how to start the conversation off. He can't think of anything to say to her - not after the scar of their breakup hasn't even started to heal.

She gives him a small smile, the type that made him fall for her, and a lock of brown hair falls across her face. He resists the urge to tuck it back. "Hey. How... how are you?"

"Good, yeah," he answers, fully aware he's lying through his teeth - and that she knows he is. Something like regret flashes across her face, but she was the one to end it. He frowns slightly as she takes another sip of coffee, and she glances around again. Almost like she's making sure they're alone. An uneasy sensation forms like a stone in his gut.

"Look, Chuck... I just needed to explain."

That's what this is. He's dreading what she'll say. So he's out of his chair and ready to go almost as soon as she finishes talking. "Lyra, you don't need to. I... I need to move on, and this isn't going to help." It's going to make it worse, he wants to say, but he still can't bring himself to willingly hurt her. Even though she hurt him.

Shock and pain flash across her face, and her hand darts out and closes around his wrist. He looks down at her, and her eyes are full of pleading. "Please. Hear me out. I... I promise it's worth it."

They stay like that for a second, neither ready to give the other up, before he lets out a small sigh and lowers himself back down to her level.

"Thank you," she breathes gratefully. He notices the almost imperceptible tightening of her fingers around the coffee cup, and he realises this is serious. She's got something to say, and he needs to hear it.

"I know it's been really hard, this month, and I just... wanted to apologise. But more than that, I wanted to explain. Why I broke it off, and why... everything that's happened has happened."

She's being cryptic, and it doesn't really reassure him. She gives him another smile, but it still doesn't diffuse the tension in him.

"Something happened to me four months ago. I didn't tell you, I didn't tell anyone... it's been a secret this whole time. I've been dealing with it the way I always do, on my own, but then..."

She bites her lip and looks down at the table. "I... I don't know how to say this, so I'm just going to tell you. Right here, right now." She closes her eyes. "Chuck..."

The silence stretches between them.

Her voice is small, and quiet, and nervous, meant for his ears only. "I'm Lumina."

There's a hollow noise in his ears. He can't put a finger on it, but it's unnerving and foreign. Much like what she's saying. "What... what are you talking about?"

She stares at him. "I'm... I'm Lumina. You know-"

"I know who you're talking about," he interrupts, "but you're... you're saying you're a superhero? With... superpowers?"

A tiny nod, nearly unnoticeable unless someone was looking for it - which he definitely is. He needs the confirmation that she's actually trying to trick him like that.

"You really expect me to believe that? Lyra, I'm not stupid!" He knows he's probably overreacting, but to be honest he's just sick of her and her manipulation.

Her eyes widen and she shakes her head. "No, I promise I'm not lying. I'm telling the truth. I can prove it."

"Whatever," he says, the word bitter and hollow in his mouth. He genuinely thought he could trust her, and she just lied to him again. He pushes himself up and out of the chair, and then he's storming away from her, and then -

The colour in front of him takes his breath away.

His eyes travel the length of the glittering shield blocking him from going any further. It changes and shifts like a prism as his eyes move, and each sparkling shard of colour is different. He reaches up to touch it, and it's cool and warm at the same time. It's as bright as light - because that's what it is, he realises. Solid light. The flashy powers of a certain superhero, who only made herself public four months ago...

"Lyra?" he breathes, and he turns slowly to see a determined expression on her face, body in a warrior's stance with her hand outstretched.

"I'm sorry, Chuck. I just couldn't let you leave without knowing the truth. I was trying to protect you, and... and I'm sorry." Her voice breaks slightly. She starts to take a step forward, but her foot falters, and she bites her lip and stays where she is. "I'm sorry," she repeats.

He stares at her for one long moment before he moves, and even then it's only a soft exhale and a subtle blink. "Lyra, I-"

"Don't," she says quickly, cutting him off. "Don't. I know there's no excuse for what happened, but... I just wanted you to know why."

He gives her a smile, watching her eyes as the nerves give way to warmth. "It's okay. I get it. I just wish..."

He steps closer to her and she steps back involuntarily, and in that moment he feels a twinge of hatred for the unforgiving guy who decided to come to this meeting, but it doesn't stop him. He keeps walking, and he crosses the distance between them.

"I just wish you hadn't been so stupid."

"What?" she breathes, quietly shocked.

His smile widens. "I'm always here for you. Lumina or not, that's not changing. Lyra, I... I think I love you, and if you want, we can start this over again."

She blinks at him, confused. He knows it was never her goal to rekindle what they lost, but now the moment is passing and he realises he has to do something.

So he leans in, and kisses her.

It's the first time they've been this close since the breakup, and as she melts into him he realises this is what he's been missing. This is why his life's felt empty for the past month. It's her. It's always been her. So they stay like that for a few glorious seconds, and then he pulls back and smiles at her.

Her eyes are sparkling diamonds as she beams up at him. "I think I love you too, Chuck."

She takes a step back to regain her balance, and that's when she topples off the roof.

"Lyra!" he screams, and he lunges after her, hand reaching for hers, trying to save her, and as she shrieks and plummets downwards his fist closes around something. He's panting, frenzied breaths, adrenaline and fear rushing through his body. He doesn't dare move, for fear that he'll let go of the girl he's only just got back. So he takes a steadying breath, trying to calm himself, and he pulls upwards with all his might. His vision blurs as he falls back onto the rough surface, and he swipes his hand across his face, wiping away the traitorous tears that show how much he cares for her. The world comes back into focus as he stares in the direction of the edge of the roof, and it strikes him just how beautiful the cityscape that lies before him looks. But that's not what matters, and what he's really looking at is the smiling girl across from him.

"Lyra," he whispers.

She smiles at him through tears that are starting to fall. "You know I can fly, right?"

He lets out a laugh despite his panic. "You always were the worst at thanking people."

They're both on their feet at the same time, and they rush towards each other as they lock into an embrace and slowly, a cocoon of shimmering light forms around them.

Lumina got 2nd place in the Superhero Challenge! Yay!